Sixth Wave Affinity - Cannabinoid Purification

Okay that is good info. Thank you!
That’s the kind of stuff I am trying to find. Efficiency, throughputs, lifespan, cost to operate (beads/solvent), etc.

If anyone knows any of these things ^^, please post here. Very curious.

I don’t think anyone has one of these yet. Their website makes it sound like they’re still going internal development.

1 Like

Gotcha…
Well as that info becomes available, if anyone hears/reads about it. I’d love to hear what they say.

maybe CHS sufferers are making appropriate antibodies?

1 Like

The main thing I took away from that article was the Molecularly Imprinted Polymers. Fascinating… i wonder if THC isolate would be sufficient to make an MIP for THC remediation.

1 Like

this system is badass definitely want to get my hands on one for R&D. the possibility’s are blowing my mind just think of isolating THC-P THC-V THC-A THCd9 CBD-A CBD and the rest of the desirable cannabinoids with just doing multiple runs with the same crude oil and just swap the MIP between selected cannabinoids.

2 Likes

looks like GPC, Gel Permeation Chromatography. Used for working with polymers to do sizing, but can definitely tailor the gel beads to retain desired compounds. Be super interested to see how it works separating things like CBN from THC distillate.

I love how this is called “Affinity Chromatography”. Pretty much all chromatography is based on affinity for the column or what fills the column.

4 Likes
1 Like

Yea thats my thought. I wonder how they are getting straight EtOH to work as an elution buffer.

Affinity Chromatography is a very specific term. And means something very specific. Yes pedantically all chromatography works off different affinities but the term is a recognized procedure.

2 Likes

Looks fantastic , it’s about time, can’t wait to see overall cost. Just sent them a message.

1 Like

doh! You got me. My extremely pertinent excuse is biochem. Anything that contains bodily fluids and/or stuff taken out of bodies is pretty much a no fly zone for me. Affinity seems to be related to separating proteins and such.

Used to be a paramedic and I studied chemistry to get away from the nasties. Technically many of these things carry over to my polymer degree but my specialty was products of non-biological origin. Unless we are counting the dinosaurs that made my pre-polymer juice :wink:

1 Like

This has been done before. It’s called lego intrusion separation. You fit molecules like Legos then use agressive solvents to dissolve them off. I knew a good chemist who did this as practice. It was extremely expensive going to scale.

1 Like

“Lego intrusion separation” sounds made up. Cant find any mentions with a scholar search either.

4 Likes

It’s just a term I’ve been taught. You make artificial structures that absorb into the solution and attach themselves to the molecules like Legos. Once attached they can’t come apart. They you use a special blend of solvents to let go of the “Lego” grabbing effect. If I’m not mistaken you can remove color with c32? Doing this with cannabis oleoresin. The problem is the larger you go the larger it gets. It’s not like chroma. You really stretch your solutions into the media’s.

1 Like

Ive not heard of c32, only c18. What do you mean when you said

I’m not a chemist and it’s too early. I’ll search some emails and see if it’s a different resin coated media. Again I’m not a chemist so my vocabulary isn’t perfect on the subject.

2 Likes

Im not a chemist either im a stupid construction worker.:man_construction_worker:

6 Likes

It’s okay man. Funny enough my background / PhD is biochemistry and I did a lot of affintiy chromatography.

2 Likes

c32 is basically asphalt right?