Simple hold up

So here I am again trying to figure this out. Obviously closed loops operate by temperature differences. We are attempting to dewax as much as we can. We have a -50 chiller, & a 1lb rack mounted second stage dewax w/ CRC, #50 jacketed solvent tank, running active with a TRS21

Our short fall is trying to chill the collection base. And complete runs. Before the chiller we used ethanol/ d.i/ mag pump. Everytime we would phase change from cold to warm in the collection jacket, there would be a little contamination of water that sits in the very bottom that ultimately diluted the ethanol and no longer pumped.

From the reading ive done some people use warm vapor assist/hot loop or even n2 to finish runs without chilling the collection? Wouldn’t that create an intense amount of back pressure where the temp difference lies? In my case between CRC output line & collection head is where I saw the pressure build up before we started chilling collection.

If there is a solution to not worry about chilling the collection I would love to hear some ideas. Love you guys, you’re all amazing here.

1 Like

My system is passive with nitrogen assist and I don’t chill my collection. Once things get flowing the cold solvent chills the colllection pretty good. No problems here. It saves me a ton of dry ice

2 Likes

In theory. I want to run my solvent thru a 50’ stainless wart coil, thru material. Stall in dewax for 10-15 min. Chill dewax with my -50 chiller in that time, and from there open to CRC and THEN push with n2 from the material column and clear everything out.

Now if I’m pushing from material what is the most efficient way to burp nitrogen?

if your only gonna dewax for 10-15 mins…why do it at all…its definitely gonna take longer than that to precipitate out the waxes properly

5 Likes

I’m relatively new… just trying to process stuff as quick as possible. Plus we’re working off of 2 people’s opinions. We figured 15 was enough for a partial dewax. We’re just running some trim to get the procedure down.

1 Like

2 hours is typical for dewax, but that’s with a di slurry. You’ll need to dewax for considerably longer than 15 minutes.

Like @Killa12345 said, at 15 minutes there’s not even a point to it.

4 Likes

I’d remove the 2nd stage dewax column if your only gonna be stalling it for 15min. Wouldn’t it make more sense, to just run cold af gas and fast through the material column?

4 Likes

Search: nitrogen assist

There are a few different ways.

1 Like

Try chilling your material column to -50°C and you won’t need to dewax at all!

5 Likes

Chilling the material column makes it hard to recover all the solvent from the material afterwards. At least inline. I was thinking maybe we could use a wide diameter coil to prechill the solution going into the dewax to speed up things. 15 min dewax will have some noticeable improvement on the final product. Of course if we stalled longer it would give amazing results.

2 Likes

I just drain the slurry and fill mine with hot water a few times (while recovering from the top). Not the perfect solution. But works decent on the cheap (I am losing very minimal butane)

2 Likes