Should mother liquor and wash liquor be combined or separated?

It kind of dawned on me today that “wash liquor” will probably be a lot higher (proportionwise to other compounds) in CBD% vs the filtrate mother liquor.

I’ve been combining them, as I usually do the processes back to back and it’s easy, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with separating the two and if they noticed differences in potencies of evapped residues or ease of reclamation?

1 Like

I used the wash liquid for the next dissolution of distillate for crystallization. That way I didn’t need perfectly clean solvent, and I get best use out of what is mostly CBD in the wash solvent.

The mother liquor would get redistilled and then recrystallized separately. Mother liquor took extra work for clean precipitation, especially with such high minors.

2 Likes

I try to keep then separate, takes an astute crew tho.
Def the wash ml is way more CBD and easier to recover by tossing back in crystallisation reactors.
I’ve tried using it as crystallisation solvent but it ups the thc and gross terpene smell so I only use it as last resort

1 Like

Yes I’ve had that experience as well. One thing I always wondered and never checked is what happens with minors during distillation of reduced mother liquor and subsequent crystallization