Should analytical labs be held to a higher standard or have different practices in place

I moved to Oregon about a year ago and I have noticed certain labs in particular like to show over 100% test results for combined terpene and cannabinoid content. This is really a big pet peeve and I feel it makes consumers ignorant to what they are consuming. I know they allow a -+ 5% deviation of their results. I believe if results for a product test over 100% and it’s 5 percent or more deviation the sample should be retested and then sent to a third party for an unbiased analytical testing.

the problem might simply be their standards. they have to be purchased. how do you know the supplier got it right?

or it might be that there is a $ reward for “grade inflation”. see Shady Lab Results - #17 by cyclopath

edit: then of course there is

Lies, Damn Lies, and statistics…

and statistically speaking, adding those numbers and getting more than 100% is guaranteed at least some of the time, given the nature of the beast (and the error margins involved).

1 Like

Cyclopath is on it. It’s the standards the labs are using. Oregon actually has some of the best testing labs in the states because of the regulations put in place. I was on the testing technical advisory committee for the Oregon Health Authority a few years back. It was awful before the labs were forced to align with certain practices. I’m glad I don’t live in another state where you can essentially pay a lab to boost your numbers… that’s what we were dealing with before.