Short Path Virgin!!

That’s a rotovap, I did the same thing when I started looking into this stuff. You would use that set up to reclaim your alcohol after you winterize your product then you would rub that product left in the rotovap into a SPD set up.

4 Likes

Oh really? I thought what was left over from using a rotovap would be a broad spectrum distillate? You also have to use SPD to get to the point of making tinctures and lotions and what not?

So is the $10-20k for a turn key system includes a rotovap and a SPD system?

I’m pretty new too, that I’m not sure on more goal is to get distillate to vape or dab so I’m looking for a super clean and pure product.

As doobie stated above that system is only for alcohol recovery after extraction and filtration.

What would go into a roto is winterized extract with alcohol, this separates the alcohol from your crude.
What comes out is still technically crude oil, not consumable and still needs to undergo another process of decarbing before going into a short path.

Are you starting with plant material or do you buy crude oil for refinement? This will determine what system you need to get first.

3 Likes

The $10-20k is still just the short path distillation unit. A rotovape is a separate system that can also cost upwards of 10k.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information. You might have saved me a few thousand dollars. I’m currently growing about 400 hemp plants in Tennessee and I would prefer to process them myself but I didn’t realize the cost to do so might be $10-20k just for the equipment. So I would be starting with flower and biomass, but I would like to make my own tinctures and lotions and then things like vape cartridges later don the road.

Then your operation would be perfect for making crude at least.

Just do some alcohol or hydrocarbon extraction, maybe some slight filtration, and sell the oil to someone with a roto and short path for a little while until you get your own.
Im sure you wouldnt have a problem finding someone to buy your crude on the forum.

3 Likes

5L roto for 1600
Chiller 1600
Diaphram vacuum pump 600

Mines fired up currently
You would get more $ if you hand a spd guy proper crude vs gallons and gallons of etoh wash

6 Likes

How much for your crude?
Thc? Or CBD?

I’m seeing some SPD sets on eBay for less than 10k.

https://www.usalab.com/usa-lab-5000ml-5l-turn-key-short-path-distillation-kit/

For example here is a 5l one, is this missing some things or not a good deal or what?

I’m guessing the 2l one would even be a little cheaper

That setup has everything you would need its just basically an older model. Using the vacuum hosing as the vapor tubes means a very restricted flow that just makes the entire process longer.

The standard spds now have at least a full 1” sized bore all the way through the system for faster vapor passage and a much less restricted flow. It is actually a pretty drastic difference in the size of the holes, i’ll see if i can get a picture… I am not trying to talk bad about USA labs or any spd products for that matter, just saying its like the difference between a 2015 and a 2019 car.

This setup will get the job done, its how the entire industry got to this point, it just isnt ideal to use the vacuum tubing for vapor passage.

1 Like

the 5/16” hose on the left compared to the 1” bore on the right

4 Likes

Awesome, can you recommend a brand that makes the updated version?

I run a lab in Nashville, where are you located at in TN. There’s a lot of good full bore options, I wouldn’t spend that much money on a turnkey kit, there are a lot of great options that are much cheaper out there for piecing together your first short path.

4 Likes

I’m also in Nashville

that’s awesome, I’ll shoot you a DM

So I just got 1lb closed loop system from abc and here are some pics . Just getting started …ran into big problem right from the start …the only place that sold BUtane stopped. So had to buy cases of butane cans and they included a tool to add it to canister …so my first question is …how safe is it to do that transfer ?

1 Like

Is there any suggestions on filling the tank with individual cans