Shell on Pectin Gummies & Density

Hello,

I am currently making Pectin gummies and I am noticing that a shell starts to form after leaving them to cure over the weekend. We have a dehumidifier in the room that is set to 35% and the temperature of the room itself is set to 70 F. For the sour coat I am using caster sugar, malic acid, and fumaric acid. I demold and coat before leaving over the weekend to cure on a parchment lined sheet pan that sits on a speed rack. The rack is covered and zipped up in a rack cover. Have others had this experience? If so, is this more of a curing problem or is there a possibility that an adjustment is needed within the recipe? . Could the coating possibly be causing the shell?

I am also trying to achieve a denser gummy that still has a clean break. I have been able to improve density by increasing the pectin, but the gummy still has bounce and pull when biting into it. I am also not getting a clean break when pulling the gummy in half. There’s pull and a cloudy interior.

Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Sounds to me like your acid is pulling moisture from the gummy which causes the sugar and acid to melt and form a crust.

You might try a different acid like asorbic acid which should pull out alot less water than the acids mentioned above

You could also try cooking for longer to cook more water out, i also would dry your gummies with some air flow around them zipping them up and keeping them covered in a rack cover could cause some problems also

5 Likes

@Kingofthekush420 Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is your current syrup to sugar ratio? If you are ending at 75-85 brix and ph. Between 3.0 and 3.5 you might be light on the invert sugar/ syrup usage. The syrup in a pectin gummy recipe will add to shelf life and density the same time. I wouldn’t go lower that 30% invert sugar or syrup.

2 Likes

is there a specific reason you are using pectin?

Cause it’s the way.

6 Likes

I buy gumies, like the welches type. Ive never been concerned with pectin or gelatin. my own gummies are gelatin because it works so why mess with it.

because pectin has better flavor release, and for some - texture

2 Likes

to me- the gummies are kinda easy to overdose. so i dont want them to taste just like candy. you can feel my hash oil in your teeth on my 40 mg gummies Ive felt guilty a few times when adults od on my shit and are all wasted and they didnt want that.

Dose them lighter?

i went from 500 mg to 40. but realistically i should cut them in half and sell for a dollar each. problem with my pricing is they think its weak. I mostly overdose people. I grew it and know its not wierd or got phent in it. But gummy eaters trust stores and labels. its a strange segment of the market- HIGHLY profitable still even more than fresh flower. but I think you need to be in a store to get sales.

or maybe cut it in half and charge dollars each and find a customer base. I have no customers. its paying rent via my roomates bro.

i got a few molds. some with a thc label

@TheGreenGummy Right now, I’m at 29% tapioca syrup and 29% for my Part B sugar.

1 Like