Shell and tube (dephlegmator) for condensing butane

I have been wondering if i can use a shell and tube

instead of a condensing coil maybe 3" x 36" or 48" for condensing butane.

Im thinking i can just use a 10 or 20L -20 chiller to hook up to it, (maybe even cold water running through it is enough) and have that set up after my cmep and straight into my recovery tanks. Will it work?

2 Likes

Yes you can

@Bhogart just came out with a butane falling film, I saw it in person at their grants pass shop- super cool looking unit- if I ran butane I’d snap one up in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

How the extraction part work? Like a large tank with liquid Butane and Biomass soaked?

Call them and ask them to send you pics their 1000 words are worth 2000 of mine.

@FicklePickle we need to order some stainless tubing and get to work!

1 Like

Agreed!!!

1 Like

I’m not sure on your Delta on this setup, or your flow path. But you might need a higher surface area condenser, or more of them, to get the job done

1 Like

Thise will work just fine,used them for yrs with ntane, propane etc. The small Bhogart one is rated for 20lbs a min and the big one 100 a min, i only used islce water and have 2cmep hooked to each of its own and get great recovery.

1 Like

yes, the extra immediate surface area is a huge boost over coils.
you will most likely need to change system geometry for taking full advantage of them.

3 Likes

Honestly, I have a shell and tube and I have coils and I found that I preferred the coils

2 Likes

Please expound on this, how specifically will including a condenser like this affect the geometry?

pumping a cmep’s tiny line into a wider shell/tube and having it cool well is not as intuitive as it seems.

3 Likes

a shell and tube would work for multiple CMEPs or multiple smaller pumps (dependent on outlet of pumps) theres alot of ‘physics’ to it. going from small to soo big without enough psi/cfm will cause pressure lose and possible more work on the pump etc so you need enough input for the size etc etc a tube and shell would work for passive Co2 chilled, or GC5000/corkens because of there psi and output cfm

otherwise for CMEP and pumps that size/cfm coils work better.

3 Likes