Shatter is too shattery lol

Just warm it up in the oven for a little bit

1 Like

Yeah we have them sitting on heat at 95 right now.

I would guess your CRC tec is removing too many terps.
How does it taste? If your removing too many terps you should be able to tell by the terpless taste.

1 Like

Add cannabis terps and distillate

He said it was terpy gas, when jarred for batters right?

1 Like

He did but to me it looks like 2 different runs unless that yellowing is from heat purging. Something that white and crispy its hard to believe its terpy.
If someone would have asked me if it was terpy I would have given an answer based off a dab. How can you tell if its terpy if you donā€™t dab it? Also did he jar and heat that crispy looking stuff or a diff batch before it was heat purged? Inquiring minds wanna know.

1 Like

I took him at his word :man_shrugging:
its so early

I missed that part where he said it was terpy and just noticed it was gassy when jarred so assumed he did not actually taste it since he didnā€™t mention it. I have never had crispy shatter that was terpy but it must be out there.

2 Likes

Right, I was a little confused too. It certainly looks kinda crispy to taste but so gassy.

But i wouldnā€™t be mad at that slab for farting up the sheets :smile:

2 Likes

Hahahahahaha I swear I was gonna post maybe someone farted and thatā€™s where he got the gassy smell from.

2 Likes

Like le croix sodasā€¦its like someone ate a strawberry and burped in the room while you were drinking water.

1 Like

Even super white and shattery mine had some terps

1 Like

It taste good. And no complaints there. We always taste test our product before packaging it. The shatter we dab low temp and it has great taste. The badders are terps just in the jars and can be dab a higher temp. They are two different batches from the white to the yellow. We got a batch of 10 different strains that seem to be more stable than normal. Our source for this material uses a dehue to dry the material so thereā€™s not a whole lot of moisture content. And that my assumption of why itā€™s so stable.

1 Like

Other than the Angelā€™s share that crunches off when you break it, I say good job :muscle:

2 Likes

I havenā€™t made shatter in a couple of years now, but my guess is this batch is heavier in thc-a than what you normally deal with. When I was able to grow my own I harvested it, put it in a dehydrator and then extracted it which gave me a lot more thc-a than cured buds. The more thc-a the more crystal/glass like the shatter tended to be.
I would solve this by partially decarbing it to convert some of the thc-a to flexible thc. You could try taking a sample of 10g or so and heating it to 170/180 for An hour

Summary

This text will be hidden

in the oven and see how it behaves when it cools.

2 Likes

try leaving the oil in the oven without vac for half an hour or so before purging at 110-115f then purge at 110 for 24 hours flipping the slab half way through. Iā€™ve had the same problem when first making crc shatter with too dry of a starting material. Iā€™ve noticed a drastically higher stability with shatters ran through CRC especially when the starting material is supper dry which happens allot here in Colorado. Check out my ig and dm me if you have any questions. @dabgeek420

4 Likes

Thank you for the response and @MikeTx for the info. Iā€™ll give it a go on the next round of shatter. Right now we are currently running it to diamonds and crashing out a lot of thca. So @MikeTx you are correct in what youā€™re saying. Thank you again for everyoneā€™s response on this thread! This is a great forum and awesome community to be a part. Master mind group to the fullest! @Future :pray:

3 Likes

You ever find a solution to this ? I have been having a few batches that are incredibly shattery like Iā€™m talking you can go to 110f and still will break like ice Iā€™m making majority of it to whipped budder now and Iā€™m up to 120 and still canā€™t whip it lol

1 Like

Have you guys considered going hot enough to partially decarb a small portion of the THCa? I would think that would give you more of a pull and snap consistency but obviously there are concerns about terpene degradation and evaporation by doing so.

1 Like

Definitely experienced very similar results and OVERLY stable slabs too.

Look at them wrong and they break kind of shatter.

Also helps to run a more iso butane and propane heavy solvent blend helping to pull more terpenes combined with solvent temps not ultra cold for CRC shatter.

-30C solvent and using a heated CRC column working for me.

Suggest Reducing grams slightly of your media.

• going hotter temps in the oven warming pre purge and during purge to get the slabs to lay down flat :white_check_mark: