SharperTek Heated Ultra Sonic Cleaner.

Anyone utilize one of these to clean out their beakers and flasks? If so, what type of solvent do you use with it? All over the user manual it strongly discourages the use of any alcohol as the cleaning agent to fill er’ up with yet… I’m being told that “It’s totally fine use ethanol as the solvent.”

1 Like

as long as you do NOT go over the boiling points of your solvent you should be fine, Just watch closely when you first use it, the sonic frequencies tend to heat the solvent with the heater. I use Ethonal or ISO.

2 Likes

I normally fill my sonicator with water, fill the dirty flask with acetone or whatever solvent is on hand, and place it in the basket to sonicate. I adjust the basket depth with cork rings for smaller flasks.

If you have time to soak the stuff you might consider making a base bath to soak really dirty glass ware overnight. This usually makes my glass ware rinse totally clean with water after an overnight soak. Base bath recipe’s vary by lab. I wind up googling it every time I have to remake it.

1 Like

Good to know, our temp is set well below the boiling point. Safety is my #1 priority so anytime I feel like we’re doing something sketchy I always challenge it. Thanks.

2 Likes

We’ve been letting our containers soak overnight in a ethanol bath to clean since the jump but with a new manager we get new procedures. Your method is how I would handle it but alas it’s not my call on S.O.P. Thanks!

1 Like

water and alconox worked pretty good. I let a chinese flask sit in the sonicator with this solution for a couple hours and it vaporized the ink labels on the front. Came out squeaky clean after you rinse the soap off.

3 Likes

Use alconox