Setting up passive system

I use my injection coils for recovery as well. You could easily do this for your set up too

2 Likes

@Dred_pirate
Got it, going to go to dual 3/8 vapor lines, 3/8 liquid lines and eliminate bottom fill.
I have an instant hot water heater in my shop that Iā€™m not using so Iā€™m going to start brainstorming on how I want to set that up.

@FicklePickle
And that makes total sense! I dig it. Thank you.

I will post an adjusted diagram tomorrow.

Thanks again guys!

1 Like

Get a stainless tank that has multiple vapor ports (2) Ā½ vapor recovery. And (1) ā…œ for nitrogen/vac.

Dunk the tank in a dry ice slurry and ditch the coils.

2 Likes

Did you see the video at the meet up of the bolt giving out on a cls at 120 psi? @Dred_pirate wasnt that video gnarly? That rig took off like a rocket ship

1 Like

Do you have a link to the video?

I ordered a 50lb stainless tank. 2x 1/2ā€ vapor ports and 1x 1/4ā€ vapor port.

1 Like

@FicklePickle @Dred_pirate @Kingofthekush420 @downtheterphole @Unicorn_Theory1 @CreativeAlias

Based on your guysā€™s Input I will he making the following adjustments:

Delete bottom fill

Solvent tank will be in slurry

Single coil in slurry plumbed for injection and recovery.

Going to return 1/4ā€ lines and use 3/8ā€ lines all around

Ordered some extra 10ā€ gaskets with the outer lip.

Still chewing on instant hot water heater set up. Got a couple ideas but noting concrete yet.

I will post an updated diagram tomorrow.

Thanks again

2 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting Iā€™ve always found the opposite. Acetone seems to boil less aggressively when chilling as well as consuming less dry ice by a factor of half in my experience. What proof was your iso and what percentage was your acetone? Pellets or chunk for dry ice? Iā€™ve seen both hang at roughly -70C regardless of solvent. Is your experience different?

2 Likes

My understanding of this is that the stable low temp will be very close regardless of solvent (acetone or 99.7 iso) however the acetone slurry will have less temp fluctuation due to the heat transfer.

I am going to mess around with both slurries using dry ice pellets and will let you know what my experiences are.

This is from my brother who is a biochemist:

2 Likes

it does , theres no question

2 Likes

Acetone is in my opinion far more aggressive then iso. The reaction alone when introducing the two is vastly different, bubbles and speed at which the ice lasts. Iā€™m talking about everything directly out of there containers, brand new.

Home Depot acetone
99.7 iso

Type of dry ice hasnā€™t matteredā€¦ surface area on the pellets is far higher so it goes through that faster. That can be controlled by feeding it with dry ice slowly over the entire day.

They donā€™t use isopropyl alcohol in this video, but I feel itā€™s very close to etho alcohol and itā€™s reaction with dry ice.

4 Likes

Acetone transfers heat better therefore it would transfer the outside heat to the dry ice faster in this experiment since theres no insulation resulting in a more violent boil.

Try getting a vacuum jacketed container to hold your slurry and the outside heat wont kill your dry ice as fast

This is true in any solvent

I use to use a yeti for my coils with a lid, that shit worked great and made my dry ice last way longer

Unfortunately it eventually broke

3 Likes

Iā€™m not disagreeing with you at all here. I just think acetone is best used if your process is very quick. Otherwise, your ice and acetone are just sitting sublimating at light speed. Once I upgrade my collection vessel and donā€™t have to throttle it, Iā€™m sure acetone will make a huge difference.

Iā€™m using Home Depot job site coolers right now.

5 Likes

For my heat exchanging system. I got a couple bulkheads, then NPT to quick connect water hose adapters to return the cold water into the heating bucket using a 3/4 garden hose.

2 Likes

Updated diagram:

3 Likes

needs beads

1 Like

Is this what yall arguing about? When choosing different solvents a chilling solution?

1 Like

Sieve beads? The sieves are between the collection pot and the solvent tank. One for each recovery line

1 Like

Also decided to go with dual 1/2ā€ recovery lines instead of 3/8ā€

Parts started showing up this afternoon. Woooo. Stoked.

6 Likes

check out the 1K word substitutes @Photon_noir posted on the subject: In hot water... - #7 by Photon_noir

literally laid out on the wall for you :wink:

4 Likes