Separating Ethanol and Water

Hi All,

I’m interested in the process of degumming. Degum reagents of course require water.

Say I’ve got some winterized crude, which has had solvent removed—if I were to heat this up, stir and add water, ethanol, and my degumming reagent (either citric acid or enzymes), could I:

1. make ethanol and water immiscible by “salting out” the water? What salts are preferable?
  2. still remove gums by centrifugation?
  3. will there be residual salt in the ethanol/oleoresin mixture? What can be done with these?
  4. Is there an alternative method that doesn’t require the use of an alkane (hexane)?

Alternatively, if I were to heat water and oleoresin (without ethanol) who could guess as to whether it would be seemingly homogenous (i.e. I could dissolve my degumming reagent in it)

Thanks everyone,
Phil

2 Likes

i used to fear the alkanes… now i love them. whats the reason to avoid?

Just for the sake of maintaining a simple workflow, not introducing additional risks to the lab, and cause it seems like a good tek to use if it’s feasible.

Alkanes would certainly simplify this process very easily, but I fear introducing even residual amounts of alkanes into a product.

1 Like

the bp of all is pentane is so low, but i agree on residuals- i am still calibrating my GC but plan on getting experiments done on purging tek- will keep you apprised

1 Like

Potassium Carbonate?

https://projects.ncsu.edu/project/chemistrydemos/Organic/SaltingOut.pdf

2 Likes

That’s likely the salt I’d use

2 Likes

Let us know how it goes! :+1:

From some limited experiences.
Ethanol doesn’t really hate salt water that much. You won’t get crazy distinct layers. Maybe try it real quick to make sure. You might need a bunch of time or a centrifuge to really get proper separation.

I’ve found isopropyl really hates salt water though. It has a very distinct separation immediately.

2 Likes

Good to know! I just read a research paper on this and it looks like you get about 10% water retention in ethanol if you saturate the solution with K2CO3 (potash)

We’ve got a centrifuge so I’ll see what that does to assist

2 Likes