Separating CBD/THC in distillate?

Suggestions on how to separate CBD from THC in distillate. Any information appreciated.

Not easy, not cheap, not fast.

If it were me I’d probably turn the THC into something else.

Others would look to actually separe them with chemistry magic and very expensive equipment.

The search bar is your friend.

4 Likes

I need low THC numbers to make the distillate of any use for the products I make though. Also don’t necessarily need cheap or easy if the process shows solid return.

your options are chromatography (inefficient, expensive, laborious, low throughput, lots of solvent, pretty much not viable) or selective degradation of THC to CBN (not so simple to do, probably require a consultant, a real chemist or lots of development work). Distillation alone will not get you this separation reliably.

you could just acetylate the whole thing and technically have 0% THC (or CBD) because it’ll be THCO and diacetyl CBD.

The product you have may not be suitable for vape carts because of THC content, but if you formulate it into something then the dilution might bring you down to compliant levels.

8 Likes

Our degradation process is now simple.

But it did require a consultant, a real chemist (three actually), and lots of development work.

Chromatography is a much more direct route if expensive isn’t a barrier.

4 Likes

ya someone posted our patent somewhere a few months ago with good synthetic routes for selective decomp to CBN.

3 Likes

SMB using DVBS resin beads as a RP-solid support…
Standard mobile phase that matches the post separation use of the CBD.

If you have a LOT of material…and a lot of money.

There is also a 2021 patent.

Do you need distillate?

or will isolate suffice?

That was certainly the route many chose earlier in the game. Free (BUT OLD) Hemp Biomass-to-Isolate SOP (complete) using cryo EtOH, wiped film dist., with C7 (re)crystallization

Or not all of it :shushing_face:

1 Like

As per @Lincoln20XX you can inefficiently chromatograph it (pardon my made up words)

You can degrade it along with the rest of your desired CBD according to @eyeworm

@moronnabis is pulling out the advanced Tony Stark, Bruce Banner (pun intended) Tek

Are you directly involved with the distillate production or are you the next stop in the production line? If you produced the distillate and have a decent understanding of chemistry, top notch instruments/equipment, and time/patience, perhaps you can distill the THC out.

I was suggesting a selective degredation of THC - meaning a reaction which only degrades THC to CBN and not the other cannabinoids.

2 Likes

I take it from plant to finished product. So every process in between I have a pretty decent understanding of. Just looking to grow not only with information, but the farther I can take things in the shop, the better off I am.

1 Like

Well if you’re in a pinch, you can always dilute the distillate with CBD isolate.

…again

Do you NEED distillate?

Or do you need COMPLIANT?

crystallization will get you to compliant, and current scuttlebutt says it can get you there without the need for distillation.

If you managed 60% yield from distillate to isolate, would that pencil out?!? One you can sell across borders…

Although that probably won’t be enough to keep your head above water once folks catch on to the latest trick(s).

Nothing I can share, other than all the pieces are lying around here and pretty easy to assemble if you’ve got the right background.

2 Likes

Exactly…why do it???$$$???

If you have non compliant CBD/THC in the same jar…you have already f***ed up…past the $$$ point of no return.

If you have non-compliant hemp out of the field…CBDA/THCA ratios out of compliance…this is the stage to make the correction.

1 Like