Self-Defense for Felons?

My best friend and employee of 12 years is a felon. He got busted for making dabs a year before they were made legal here. Unfortunately, it my state, to defend yourself, you either have to beat someone with your fists, shoot to kill or catch an attempt with a deadly weapon charge.

The first option is black powder, which is also great for hunting or air rifles:

I bought a Diablo 12-gauge for my buddy for his house for Christmas. The other option is pepper balls, which are largely ineffective. He also carries a boat air horn.

At the end of the day, the best defense is offense with fences, cameras, lights and dogs. Does anyone have any recommendations for home protection for felons?

3 Likes

We’re allowed to get our Rambo and Robinhood on. Compounds, long bows and crossbows are legal for felons to own here in KY. I guess if you’re trained and can reload from your quiver quick enough it would be a nice option for self defense. Or that big grenade arrow that Rambo uses to blow up that helicopter in First Blood II should do the trick
rambo-bow-and-arrow
…

8 Likes

Dude that was so fucking cool! Rambo is the shit

Personally. I like icepicks if I have to carry something.

4 Likes

A wild animal got into my house once and we sprayed it with bear mace. Couldn’t be in the house for about 30 minutes because of the lingering smell. So I would imagine being sprayed with it is pretty bad

4 Likes

@Tom Holy shit lmao. For some reason when reading your post i thought of the Irish “catch him Derry” video CATCH HIM DERRY/BAT DAD/BAT IN THE HOUSE - YouTube

If you’re talking about home defense and not running around with weapons then I would definitely keep some firearms around the house for self-defense because at the end of the day I’d rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6!

8 Likes

Sounds like with a little time and money he could probably get his record cleared and legally be able to own them again . Had a buddy in a similar situation

2 Likes

Tell him to get a roommate that keeps a gun in his room.

You can expunge drug felonies

1 Like

Unfortunately, it is financially prohibitive for him and I to get a lawyer to do so. You can do anything you want in the US with enough money, the proper tax, title license, stamps and fees.

1 Like

it cost my baby mama $1200 for 4 felonies expunged

then you can get a real gun and commit federal felonies for lying on form 4473

5 Likes

In the People’s Republic of Michigan, it is much more expensive financially and time for one felony.

Tell your friend to change his name to Hunter Biden… What can I say, when desperate this might be worth a shot🤣

3 Likes

As many states have been loosening knife restrictions in general and even legalizing switchblades, balisongs, etc, there is usually a downside for felons. Most of these states have included language that restrict the carry of a knife that could be considered a dangerous weapon by felons or other people disallowed from possessing firearms.

On top of that, many states have restrictions on other less lethal self defense items such as blackjacks, batons, knuckles, etc that are restrictive for people who don’t even have a record, let alone felons.

Bottom line, felon in possession of a firearm is a serious offense, sentence wise. Best to carry a big ol sharp ass knife. Worst case is a mid grade misdemeanor vs a big ol felony. Machetes and hatchets are very easy to justify as a tool, fyi…

1 Like

In Michigan, it’s getting easier to expunge nonviolent felonies. Automatic Expungements: Michigan Clean Slate.

2 Likes

I think rottweilers are the best home defense breed. German shepherds are great at defending an outdoor perimeter, but they will usually bark all night. That’s part of why there are so many purebred shepherds in shelters, people leave them outside as guard dogs but get tired of the barking. I think dogs are the best defense, but that is only for someone who can devote enough time to them.

2 Likes

Cane corso, presa canario and dogo argentino will do a much better job.

2 Likes

Caucasian Ovcharka for the win.

3 Likes

which one of these breeds comes with lvl4 body armor?

2 Likes

If someone is serious enough then the Caucasian ovcharka is just the initial meat shield, unfortunately

2 Likes

I also need to fight bears.

2 Likes