Selective crystallization of THCA and CBDA

Hello, has anyone tried to selectively crystallize CBDA from a soluion of both CBDA and THCA or do they always cocrystallize together?
Thank you very much

I don’t think the issue is co-crystallization it’s more of an issue of being able to crystalize compounds that aren’t above a certain potency. If you have a bunch of thca and cbda mixed up together, the thca is prob not prevalent enough in the solution to crash out.

@Roguelab might have some tricks for selectively dropping out specific acidic compounds but that’s well above my pay grade

3 Likes

Depends on the crude mixture and the ratio of the two, concentrations of each etc. I’ve done what you’re describing by crystallizing THCA out of crude containing CBDA - but that material was also THCA dominant…like 60-75% THCA and 5-15% CBDA

Back in the day… we didn’t want any THC in our CBD. And we did this using solvents at different temperatures.

There was some work done for a THC specific membrane as well for chromatography. If you want you can separate things out using chromatography first and then recrystallize.

Are you wanting to keep them in their acidic forms? Do you have access to chromatography equipment or microfluidics equipment to do that work?

2 Likes

I was involved in some research to use a membrane to separate THC and CBD. Phase I trial went acceptably. Phase II trial was (hopefully temporarily) shelved pending the not insubstantial quantity of $ required to continue.

2 Likes