Seed Viability after Live resin BHO? Any thoughts

So I primarily spend countless hours reading and researching things within the f4200 forums and here comes the time that I find it necessary to post my first question as I have not found much info whatsoever on the subject.

So here’s the low down = I intentionally pollinated a # of my plants with my male (YETI F3) stud from Loompa farms in my quest of starting a seed/genetic company. I dont want to fuck up the germination or success rate of my beans just because my “buddy” said they will be “completely fine”. So I decided I’m going to run about 40lbs of wet fresh frozen material w/seeds but my concern is this =

Q.) When running fresh frozen material full of seeds will the seeds be affected in anyway whatsoever? Will it make some seeds duds or will they completely burst from the moisture content and supercritical cold temps?
The system I plan to use is a 3 -6" material columns with MVP recovery pump, using a chiller, jacketed solvent tank, jacketed vessels cooled with co2, a jacketed holding tank and recovery pot with jacketed/heated bowl.
Not sure wether or not the equipment used to process said material makes a difference or not but figured it’s worth noting. Thanks in advance and please go easy on me if I have a boatload of clerical errors in my post and I will try to fix them if need be in order to help educate and not confuse the future readers.

Thanks in advance,
Rob w/ BIS Corp

1 Like

I have ran plenty of seeded stuff and had the seeds grow in the compost pile after wards. They will survive, what it does to the breeding end no idea

6 Likes

A few concentrate companies made most their money processing seeder packs for seed companies and give the seeds back to breeder and the breeders would then sell the seeds. I’ve planted quite a few seeds from spent biomass. Sometimes we will get something super fire and find a seed In the spent material and it always seems to grow normal.

3 Likes

What keeps the crystal like structures from destroying the seeds insides like it would do a human…bc that’s what freezing solid is, mini crystals tear through dna and cells. I know plants will grow after this I’m just wondering what’s protecting them

giphy
Fascinating

4 Likes

Seeds are essentially desiccated. The reason cells die from freezing is water expansion while freezing. That’s why cell cultures use DMSO when making a seed to store on liquid N2 vapor.

2 Likes

Will it work, yes; though i would recommend winnowing the seeds from the bracts prior to extraction, because hemp seed oil is not nearly as flavorful as floral oil. If you are going to extract seed in, i would minimize soak time, and minimize milling to avoid cracking any seed husks.
My general go to is to winnow the seeded biomass, separating the viable seeds from the floral bracts and other biomass. sift the biomass, (removing the immature seeds that can be used for hemp milk) then Rosin or hydrocarbon blast the remaining biomass (I prefer to hydrocarbon blend blast & inline winterize & CRC to minimize wax, lipid, and oil thats co extracted). be prepared for reduced yields (as terpene and cannabinoid production switches to Fatty acid / oil production at pollination) but be happy that you preserved the genetics.

ae1

2 Likes

This is good, the depth of this one is so so good

If you plant a seed that wasn’t supposed to be there, you’re gonna get more seeds that aren’t supposed to be there.

2 Likes

Id like to Thank everyone who has responded so far! My biggest worry is that the water content of the fresh frozen material will cause seeds to burst? I sit here and think that there are so many variables that could effect this though right? Like how wet were they when cut? How long until they were schucked, bagged and frozen, or would any of this really matter? Either way, I am extremely glad that I kept 40% of each plant that I am drying like normal (60%/60°) for 2 weeks before I removing the seeds from their “floral bracts” as @McWest calls them! Thanks brother for the knowledge! I have spent countless hour reading and researching and cant say I remember seeing that terminology but im sure it’s been there just simply overlooked.

When it’s all said and done I will do a side by side to compare and contrast.

Thanks again everybody and I look forward to diving deeper into this subject and all things pertaining to it! You guys are great!

Pic for reference so We can learn proper nomenclature, avoid future misnomers and LVL up together.

3 Likes

Thank you sir! You are a badass! I feel kinda like an idiot since I am starting a seed/genetics company and I should probably already know this shit if I want to be taken seriously but even the best of the best can always learn something new as long as they are willing.