Seed sellers and buyers

I have given this lots of thought, would love some feedback.

There are many seed guys selling “feminized seeds” and claiming huge cbd %s and always less than .03 thc

My question is this…how do they guarantee these results? You cant look at a seed and say this one is different than that one.

Farmer is taking 100% of the risk!

I think farmers would pay more than a $1 a seed if there were guarantees.

Solution is this. Seed guys should front the seeds to the farmer. If the seeds dont perform as advertised (agreed upon parameters) then you dont pay for the seeds. Sellers could then charge a premium for their seeds…and farmers would be willing to pay

The seed seller could insure their investment of seeds by collateralize the farmers crop. Now that the farm bill has passed…this would be perfectly legal.

Farmer would always have the most incentive to make the crop the best they could…because the farmers investment in the crop is much greater than the seed companies.

Seed companies make more money…and farmer would have piece of mind that they were getting what was advertised.

Love to hear feedback

3 Likes

I don’t think a seed company will guarantee its stock. I’m sure environmental conditions could cause plants to hermi too.

I just don’t understand why hemp farmers just don’t run a smallish indoor grow with different clones and then clone off the mom and have the stable genetics of their own.

I see the feminisized seed dealers say you cant clone and have to purchase yearly

6 Likes

Cloning 300k-500k clones would be crazy. The moms alone you would have to grow would be crazy amount…not including the space they would need. Also, when your looking at a 3-4 week planting period…timing and logistics would be a nightmare for individual farms. This is assuming 75 cuts per mom, and cutting same mom every 10 days

I agree…some conditions might be different than others…I am not sure what a seed company has invested in each seed…but I am guessing its pennies per seed

They can go to each farm if they wanted and make a decision based on where it is…soil…farmer…etc.

Like I said…until you can buy insurance that covers crop seeding etc…farmer is taking all the risk.

There are verified isolate sellers on this site…and yet if you were to buy from them…they would still have to send you lab results on each purchase.

2 Likes

I hear what your saying. What kind of logistical nightmares did you have last season with un-verified genetics.

How much did it cost you in hermi’s. Last year?

You can clone of clones and so on. Especially to keep stuff small. It’s a huge project but it’s not impossible and I was always taught. If you want something done right. You do it yourself.

Does montasano guarantee their seed stock? And farming is a risk/reward business. Some farms manage this well. Some not so well. I’m just playing devils advocate over here.

I just can’t see weed farmers using the same model. So I don’t know how it works for high cbd hemp which if you look at the % your looking for. It’s like growing high thc weed. You need to control your genetic stock.

6 Likes

We have this Tech that solves their problem. Cloning is a very inefficient way to produce large quantities of said prime strains. The solution is tissue culture for large amounts of clean, genetically exact plants. The israelíes have mastered this Tech and you can literally produce millions of plants in a short period of time and in a small footprint. Once you have your desired stock the rest is very easy.

3 Likes

You currently have tissue culture clones for sale

No, I have nothing for sale. This is for in house use only. The solution to the mystery seed problem is tissue culture. If you are going to be growing said strain that you like, tissue culture is the way to go. It’s the only way to produce Infinite copies of mother stock from cells.

6 Likes

If your looking for tissue culture Clones there are nurseries in California that offer them.

2 Likes

@BG305 what strains are you going with?

1 Like

I’ve seen some Cannabis nurseries with tissue culture clones but not hemp yet.

Could you name a few please?

I’m in the market for hemp clones (regular or tissue culture) and plan to repurpose my laminar flowhood and autoclave I used for growing gourmet mushrooms years ago for hemp tissue culture to get an better idea of how many more I could crank out vs traditional mother plants.

3 Likes

This nursery will take your strains and provide tissue culture services.

https://wonderlandnursery.com/

2 Likes

Dream Queen
Royal Highness
Humbolt dream
Cookie monster
Bigfoot glue
Asphalt plant
GSC
Lemon Kush
Vanilla frosting
Fire OG
Chocolate Orange
Humbolt SD
Pineapple upside-down cake
Blue OG
California SD
OG Kush

3 Likes

@cyclopath we were discussing this recently. What’s a “one time cleaning”? Care to chime in? My curiosity has been piqued.

1 Like

it sounds like marketing to me.

tissue culture for strain banking makes sense. tissue culture for plant propagation makes sense. however, running a strain through tissue culture just for the sake of running it through tissue culture does not sound like a rational practice to me.

Tissue culture won’t “fix” mutations, although it may reset some epigenetic changes that have accumulated during traditional cloning.

it can also used to out grow (and hence “cure”) some infections, but if your favorite strain is already showing clonal variation or disease symptoms it is probably a little late to be thinking about getting it into culture for banking purposes, and tissue culture is then more of a last resort than a guaranteed win.

I highly recommend banking. I have seen nothing to suggest a “cleaning” via tissue culture is useful in cotton, soybean, tobacco, corn or morning glory, and I put in about 6 years doing tissue culture on those.

8 Likes

Yes you are correct. This is the path to take once you find that super star strain that is right for you. The best way to go into this is from seed.

Were did you source your genetics

Many of our in house I bred and the list I sent is from my local nursery.

What nursery might that be ide like to buy some clones