Security systems, cloud, dvr vs nvr

So I’m building out a bigger facility and it will require about 60 cameras unless we go with the 360 degree ones that can see the whole room. My issue is finding companies that do big commercial security systems. My luck with teaching has been pretty poor as the biggest issue is we will need a min of 168tb of storage if using h265 and not h264. This is only 2mp quality and if I wanted to move to 8mp I will need 331tb of storage for California’s 90day back up requirement. I got a quote from a “big name” security company and it seems even they don’t really know what there doing and are just trying to sell a bunch of shit. Anyways if anyone knows an amazing security consultant im lookin!

1 Like

You want a NVR system. It’s pretty easy to build a system off Security Camera King to do this. You need the NVR + gateway + switches (typically 16 port) amd the camera plug into switches; switches and NVR plug into gateway

You will max the cameras per system by the hard drive space you have available. Also, I set each camera to 11fps and 720p to use less storage space.

If you have a cloud solution, I would be interested. My NVR can only backup through FTP protocol, so your cheaper storage solutions like Dropbox won’t work

I love doing this type of shit. I still program software during the daytime while filling orders at night. Hit me up if you need help and we can spec out a system

Consider zoning out the facility and possibly use 2 setups to help minimize cost and use common equipment

We can get you the equipment, then get some cheap labor to run the cat6 cables. For the rest, you just need some short tutorial on software setup and network configuration for all the static ips.

Oh, make sure to get POE support on switches and cameras, otherwise you will need to wire power to each camera too

3 Likes

I have a contact who works in the cannabis space and also runs a security camera company- he’s a user here actually- dm me and I’ll connect ya

There is a nice space calculator on SCK. Pending your framerate and encoding type you need a lot less storage than what you are thinking, but still probably could do it with 2NVR easily, with extra space to spare. Just a tad bit too much for 1 system with the equipment on SKC.

with 2 elite 64 channel NVR setups, you could do up to 128 cameras with 128 TB storage.

Looks like with H265 encoding, you only need 104TB to do 11fps and 3MP. This is totally doable with a little room to spare

1 Like

You could get it down to 1 NVR system with a bit more expensive NVR. Otherwise the system would be the same with the gateways and switches.

Easy peasy

1 Like

Motion detection works great these days too. Ive seen a 60 camera setup, 3mp, 30fps, busy 24h operation, 90 day, and it was 50tb at the largest. A calculator spits out ~150tb for continuous. You’re not gonna miss anything at 10, or 1 frames per second.
You’ll want some failover so if 1 or more drives die you dont lose your whole storage array. When you start getting into big systems you’ll end up with things like
https://www.getscw.com/the-imperial-64-channel-16-sata-nvr-imp64-16s which in my opinion is a lot of stuff crammed into 1 thing / single point of failure. They also dont share what youre getting on the inside (cpu/ram) and often fall short of what you might expect for the price.

So it’s a safe answer to say you opened a can of worms.

Things to consider:
Is the camera doing the motion detection or the server?
How many streams/monitoring stations do you need?
Is there an Access Control system you want to integrate with?
The answers to these questions imply a pretty wide cost range. Is there a budget?
Chances are you’ll have a mix of cameras; indoor, outdoor, fixed, ptz. Usually hi res cams for ingress/egress and lower res is fine for hallways.

I’m all about open source and think you’ll get the most flexible setup with roughly the following:
2 x 48 port 10/100 poe switch ~$1000
1x 16 bay storage server ~$1500
16x 12tb drives in raid 5 (can sustain 1 drive failure): 180TB ~$3200
1x Transcoding server to run the NVR software and stream to monitoring stations. ~$1500
60x Axis Cameras. ~$12000
Total: ~$19,200 not including labor, Ethernet, rack, additional monitoring stations, or software.

1x IT guy.
Chances are this can all going in the same rack as their phones and internet and one could safely (vlan) use the managed poe phone switch to also run the cameras.

Location?

1 Like

I’ve had some success with motioneyeos on a much smaller scale. Not sure how well that one would scale out though.

Depending on how paranoid you are you might wanna run the entire camera system on an isolated network

Not open source, but I have also seen some interesting setups using Synology, and their software isn’t horrible. Brivo also comes to mind, especially if integrating AC.

most security companies have NO IDEA what cannabis facilities need. that sets on the shoulders of the compliance officer, and often changes at the state level willy nilly.
we currently have 82 cams up and running/recording and storing for the state mandated 30 day time period. messing with your frame rates greatly increases storage capacity. We are using NVRs from Hikvision and Hikvision cams, dome and fish-eye, we love the fisheyes.

during our first buildout (security contractor install) and state inspection we averaged and increase of 25% more cameras than we had installed (per the engineering we paid for). I also had to have the remaining cameras adjusted to get the right picture. this required a ton of work and a re-inspection.
we took over the “engineering” and had our IT guy trained and now pass all our inspections on the first time with the right angles.

I doubt you will truly need that many TB of storage unless you are storing for a year.
The Hikvision cams are fantastic and can be super cheap or super expensive, no matter what they are all compliant.
hit me with a DM and i can help out as much as i am able.

You might build yourself a pc to run blue iris, get a large poe switch and get a bunch of dahua’s you’ll want some additional pci-e sata expansion cards and I’ve found 14tb shuckable drives to be the best bang for buck hdd out there. They have some nice larger sensor 4k 8mp cameras for a good price. You don’t need high frame rates. 2-4 fps is plenty. You might have to target a few special.locations you need higher frame rates if it’s in a high traffic area. Check out https://ipcamtalk.com/

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I just used calculators to get the amount of storage needed. All my old spots were 5mp cameras but I only needed 16 cameras and I didn’t have to have 90 days storage per bcc rules and regulations. If im not mistaken California requires a min of 15fps and I really dont want to go below 1080p. We are located in Commerce CA.

California requires a minimum of 15 fps, this is why I need so much storage.

You can downsample an 8mp 4k stream to say 1080p and quadruple your storage capacity

Sorry for my lack of understanding but what do you mean by downsample?

1080p is only 1/4 the size of 4k stream a native 4k camera only using 1080p will use significantly less hdd space

johnbigoilco I posted an NVR earlier that can handle all your storage need and camera needs. Even if you think you only need 60 camera’s, it’s better to have room for extra in case you need to expand or inspections dont’ go as planned. Also, once you get everything in your facility, you may start blocking spaces that were once not an issue and you may need to add more cameras