Scroll pump issue

I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue I’m having with a remanufactured scroll pump I just got wired.

I plug the pump in and when there’s no load hooked up to it open to atmosphere it runs. As soon as I deadhead it with a gauge, it pretty much stops, turning real slow, slowly rising in pressure. The motor gets hot, I unplug it.

I think it’s wired wrong? I’m on my way to the lab to snap pics to add to the post. It’s an Edwards esdp12, It’s my first scroll and I’m worried I screwed it up somehow. Any insight is appreciated.

I recently scored an Edwards ESDP-30 and had a similar issue

From your pictures, it looks like your pump is currently wired for high voltage 200/230V, according to the terminal connection diagram.

This is indicated on the pump by that little gold bar connecting the brown and blue motor cable terminals.

Did you plug it in to a low voltage 110V wall socket or a high voltage 220V wall socket?

If you want to re-wire it for low voltage, you’ll need to unscrew the bolts holding that little gold bar (its actually 2 little gold bars), and place one horizontally across the top two terminals connecting the red and brown wire terminals, and the other one horizontally across the bottom two terminals connecting the blue and yellow wire terminals.

I also just noticed it looks like the power cord is wired incorrectly as well. Match the colors from the power cord to the motor cables (blue wire terminal from power cable over blue wire terminal from motor, brown over brown, and the yellow should be grounded to the pump housing somewhere if possible).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

4 Likes

Thanks for the input @Cannabinoledge. The electrician said it was a European cord which I provided, but that he got the terminal connections right. This is also indicated by the arrows in the diagram. Isn’t that where I should put the live connections? I want it to be 220

Found this in the manual. Should I move the bar over to where the live and neutral are now and put them where the bar is?

Looks to be wired correctly for 220v, have you checked voltage on your hot legs?

2 Likes

Check to see if it is running in reverse. Scrolls will behave erratically if they are ran in reverse. I would check the capacitor on the start windings and check the run capacitor as well, they could be wired incorrectly.

1 Like

You mean my wall socket @SidViscous? I’ve had it hooked up for years def 220.

1 Like

Thanks for the input @Dynkd that’s a little beyond me and I don’t wanna get shocked. Wanna walk me thru it? It’s straight from Edwards so I’d like to think they did it right but it isn’t working right so maybe?

Page 21(25 on pdf) states that if it is in reverse to contact your supplier. I wouldn’t crack it open just yet.

2 Likes

I run my Edwards 6iC for weeks straight sometimes. I’ve had this issue and usually a rebuild fixes it right away. Reading this thread a few days ago must have cursed me because it looks like I need a rebuild now too.

On the real though, I’m not cursed - after running the dogshit out of my pumps across all processes and then allowing it to cool, all of the gunk solidifies and then on restart I start having issues with pulldown. Sometimes it fixes itself after leaving the ballast open but mine has been open for about an hour and it’s still struggling. Rebuild time.
This particular scroll has been in service for about a year and some change now.

Thanks @NewLevelProcess. This is a fresh rebuild from the manufacturer. I’m gonna contact Edwards when I get a minute.

Yooooooo this pump works! Pulls to like a champ.

I dunno what the issue was but when I plug it into the outlet in my office it works but when I plugged it in in the lab it didnt? Could it be because it’s a branch circuit in the lab and in my office it’s just a single outlet? I know squat about electricity.

1 Like

Anyone ever back a wet diffusion with a dry scroll?!

Asking for a friend.

1 Like

Many many many times it’s been done (very common actually). Should work like a champ

2 Likes

Otay thanks for the input @SidViscous. Doing it!

still really wanna get my chiller going. Bought a set of cheap gauges. I know ur very busy lately.

2 Likes

Always happy to help man!

1 Like