Same fast crash / chalking up issues. Now on the east coast

Can we start a “task force” of extractors affected by this that can submit samples for testing by a lab or two?

A crowd sourced effort here on F4200 effort could ease the burden and provide proof you can go to the presses with.

It’d likely be a combination of testing of material and the solvent.

4 Likes

I think a lot of folks were nervous to do that because they’d have to get the samples to another state, which would be illegal. :man_shrugging:

Lots to test the solvent for…

Hi guys.

I have not chimed in on this issue, but have been watching from afar.

From a chemistry standpoint, It seems like there is a close chain hydrocarbon that is being codistilled with the butane/nbutane/propane being used/supplied.

Eg, when crystallization occurs, there is a secondary, partially more tough to purge, hydrocarbon still entrapped within your lattice structure.

This leads to the sugaring of your crystals, as the entrapped volatile is escaping by ‘sheeting’ or particulizing your main structure, in order to escape.

I agree, this could be a systemic contamination issue, on a PPM/PPB level.

Gas suppliers are few, once you climb the chain.

Most refineries share SOP’s and optimization developments.

There is a potential there was a efficiency/optimization implementation that had unintended consequences in contaminating the light hydrocarbon distillates that result.

Think a ‘shorter’ fractional column, where you get a faster flow speed, but worse seperation.

There is a possibility the distillation method refineries use, or Mol Sieve/membrane filteration process changed slightly and is allowing a similarly chained hydrocarbon to pass through into the butane/nbutane/propane fractions.

Could be what @Dred_pirate has stated as a contaminate.

That is my best guess.

20 Likes

Isobutane lol

1 Like

What other hydrocarbons are there that would be close to the boiling point of butane to codistill with it?

Again, the likes issue.
The issue IMO the larger gas producers don’t care even the slightest to fractionate to level we apparently need it done to. We are such as tiny industry, they honestly couldn’t care less. Most likely if a large issue is raised with the idea of lawsuits; they’ll just cut us off. It’s just a shame we can’t find some kind of parameters to distill whatever out during normal gas distillation

2 Likes

Doesnt necessarily need to be a close weight hydrocarbon.

There may be a contaminate that is only contaminating 1% of the distilled gas molecules by weight.

Eg, it entangles into the hydrocarbon molecule as it boils over.

Not necessarily the same weight. Just a highly ‘sticky’ contaminate.

Think myclobutanil stuck on the THC molecule.

You need an adsorbant or additional filteration to completely purify these compounds/molecules.

From a chemistry standpoint…

8 Likes

This is true.

With higher priority being pushed towards professional/pharma synthesis precursors, with the pandemic scare, I think we are seeing dropping filteration standards on less jmportant our supplied ‘Industrial’ hydrocarbons.

We dont use them as medical propellants, or for any official prescribed medical protocol.

No reason for big oil to keep using their adsorbants and membranes to highly filter these hydrocarbons.
They can use them to produce more highly desired medical purity gasses.

The final ilteration/mol sieve mechanism is the same for most of these gasses, for final purification.

Pleasing the cannabis industry is not on their immediate agenda at all.

Remember. We are relient on THEM. They are NOT reliant on us.

4 Likes

Until the point of absolute legalization, and implementation of standard practices we’ll be fighting like we’re cooking meth

1 Like

Care to elaborate? You always chime in with one word dumb fuck answers but no explanation or anything to back it up. Go back your original account @Apothecary36.

2 Likes

Ooh I triggered u. How about u calm down

You didn’t trigger me. Care to elaborate on your one word dumb fuck answer? Or are you not capable of such replies?

6 Likes

I can elaborate but I don’t owe anybody an explanation. Clearly u think I’m a dumb fuck so I don’t care to please u.

The response was dumb. And you’re true, you don’t owe anyone an explanation. But it makes you look, well, like…

1 Like

Says the guy namecalling

1 Like

Propylene

5 Likes

Word is even at the ppb level it’s gonna do some weird shit.

I was reading some about that

Do you have anything worth contributing? No name calling just asking if you’re qualified for this conversation. You haven’t had any input that’s been of any help, that’s why I am asking you to elaborate on your, oh so intelligent, input.

No one has had benzene that has had this problem. There’s the answer to your question.

And I never called you any names. Learn some reading comprehension. The response was dumb, not you. Tsk tsk

3 Likes