Saline wash technique

Can anyone kindly explain for me the working principle behind saline washing of crude cannabis oil as a pH remediation technique?

The basics of saline washes are to adjust ph in solution to help facilitate removal of undesirables in oils. Adjust ph to acidic conditions, wash, separate via funnel adjust to alkaline conditions, wash, separate via funnel, adjust to neutral conditions wash, separate via funnel. You will have to make a solution with a solvent that will work for what you are trying to achieve.
If this isn’t what you’re after, use the search spoon above.
Good luck

2 Likes

This should really be called washing with brine, a saturated NaCl solution.

The reason you often see this in chemical workup procedures is that the brine doesn’t like being saturated and when the organic layer contains appreciable amounts of moisture, the brine effectively pulls some of that moisture into the aqueous layer. Similar to osmosis, really.

This usually cuts down on the amount of drying agent (typically anhydrous sodium or magnesium sulfate) you will need to dry your organic layer prior to evaporation.

2 Likes

2 Likes

My 3 spoons

2 Likes

Thank you so very much everyone for your help. This has really shed so much light for me

3 Likes