running super cold with dry ice and no chiller

Hey guys. im finally upgrading from my simple passive tamisium system to something with more capabilities. im looking into an active system (presuming active just means aided by a pump). im running this system in my head and im trying to figure exactly how this is going to work. im used to heat one end cool the other. i could always just put my frozen butane tank on top of my system and vac pressure and gravity would do the job for the most part. but im trying to run way colder now and the set up is way different. i want to run dry ice chilled bho/iso/pho from the tank through a heat exchanger coil, to the column.

1. will i use a pump to move the cold solvent from the storage tank to the column? im going to be using a much heavier tank then my tiny tamisiums use. so placing the tank higher seems dangerous.

2. Will i need a jacketed column when running like this? or will the super cold solvent actually freeze the material and the column when it comes in contact?

OSS mentioned a sleeved spool that would be added to the system im looking at. from the material column it would then go the sleeved spool before hitting the collection plate.

1. is that sleeved spool effective in removing waxes etc?

Once the solution is in the collection vessel i understand i will be adding low heat. its a jacketed collection vessel that i can run warm water. i have a sous vide for that. then the gas is removed from solution and retuned to the storage tank.

1. is this where the recovery pump comes in? will this cause extra pressure in the storage tank?

sorry if sound super green here. if you guys have any good vids you point me to that would be great. i cant really find anything that walks me through the process. im working my way through lab society and kush.com was so far the best info i could find for operating the way im describing.

Thanks for your help. i really need to understand exactly how this works to confidently buy my system.

1. will i use a pump to move the cold solvent from the storage tank to the column? im going to be using a much heavier tank then my tiny tamisiums use. so placing the tank higher seems dangerous.

-You will need pressure assistance depending on the temperature of your solvent in the tank. Look into a nitrogen tank and regulator to assist. You can also keep your tank at ambient temp and run through a dry ice cooled coil before injection to your material column. this gives you a bit of pressure to work with, but will negatively impact your recovery speed

1. Will i need a jacketed column when running like this? or will the super cold solvent actually freeze the material and the column when it comes in contact?

-not exactly necessary unless you plan to process a lot of fresh frozen wet cannabis

1. is that sleeved spool effective in removing waxes etc?

-in my experience running cold enough temperatures negate the need for a secondary dewax, but im running mostly all fresh frozen so its a little different. I would just use the sleeved column for a material column when running fresh frozen but depending on the type of material your running maybe you will want to utilize that dewax column.

1. is this where the recovery pump comes in? will this cause extra pressure in the storage tank?

-correct. however you’re going to need something more powerful than a sous vide to create heat and vapor to recover. You also need to be able to pump the water from the heated bath through the jacket. you will want a recirculating water bath heater. KW needed depending on your collection vessel size but you’ll probably want something ATLEAST 1kw. your pump with create a lot of heat so its very helpful to have a heat exchanger coil on dry ice in between your recovery pump and solvent tank. this allows you to pump cold solvent into your tank instead of warm vapor. If this cooling process is efficient enough depending on your pump you can get away with not chilling your solvent tank.

hope this was helpful

2 Likes

Super helpful. ever grateful. Thank you.

Can i get your opinion on dewaxing chambers vs filter paper? pros and cons?

Do you have a recommendation for the hot water heater? im lookng at a 2.5lb column. 25# solvent tank capacity.

Not sure what you mean by that, typically you’ll use filter paper with your inline column filter stack as well as in a dewaxing vessel. most closed loop systems that have a dewax chamber is really just a jacketed material column wtih a filter on the bottom.

For water heaters, I think your system should suffice with 1-2kw of heating power, sounds like one of the smaller units that OSS makes, so anything in that range I imagine will do you just fine. there are some variables to take into account like how far away is your heater is. When your looking at various heaters it should say something about its heating capacity and what the KW is. Thats one area where myself personally I have never had a properly sized heater and its something I dream about during every run lol. Fischer Scientific makes some good ones, I got one with my PX1 years ago that still works fantastic. I also have a Poly Science heater that came with my Iron Fish thats kind of shitty but does the job (just not very well).

1 Like

thanks dabco.

would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Tankless-Instant-Bathroom-Kitchen/dp/B07VZV497L/ref=asc_df_B07VZV497L/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385180324768&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16534424270617031359&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026222&hvtargid=pla-844949663410&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=78829232056&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385180324768&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16534424270617031359&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026222&hvtargid=pla-844949663410

Its possible it would help in line with a recirculating water heater. But tankless water heaters do not have a pump of any kind (atleast I dont think), so you would need something to help circulate the water.

something like this is more traditional as it has a bath to hold water and a pump to circulate it: https://www.opensourcesteel.com/collections/recirculating-heater-chillers/products/recirculating-heater-bath-5-liter

^this is probably one of the cheaper options out there, this one is only 750 watts but that may be ok for what you are after.

In theory though if you wanted to kind of ghetto rig something… I am invisioning a 5 gallon bucket with a spout at the bottom hooked up to a hose that has a water pump on it, like one that would pump water in a fountain. the hose from the pump would feed into the inlet of the tankless water heater, out of the heater into the jacket on the collection vessel, out of the vessel back into the bucket. Maybe also put your sous vide in that bucket to warm it up there too. This would be a pretty ghetto solution but it might actually work haha.

1 Like

gotta start somewhere man lol

a little more elegant lol

I consider myself the master of “working with what you’ve got”. I have ghetto rigged many things around my lab to prevent down time when equipment breaks, its a great skill to have haha.

1 Like
1 Like

think im gonna put an immersion heater in a reservoir with the circulating pump thats warming the collection vessel. ill probably have to heat a larger volume of water for it to keep up but i think its a decent starting point. 1500w.

good start for sure, you could always add a tankless heater inline down the road if its not keeping up. Let me know how it works out!

1 Like

for sure. thanks for all your help!

Sous vide

im reading on another thread that they dont keep up well. ive got an anova. black friday sale 3 years ago lol. works great for a steak but i can see it having a hard time keeping up with dry ice in the picture.

Just curious did that anova keep up to 90?