Running n2 without di on collection?

So your saying just n tane, you can use salt ice water? That alone might make me switch

Going back now.
Does the same thing apply with 404020 when bleeding the n2 off the collection pot? It will start to boil once the majority of n2 is bled?

1 Like

I am fairly sure that it should be enough
Several things are at play
Butane boiling point at atmospheric pressure is 0.8 C
But there is pressure in the lines and solvent tank raising it s boiling point to check the chart 45 psi
It will therefor condense at it s new boiling point under pressure of 30.8C
So why would we need to cool so low
I hope @downtheterphole can shed some light

2 Likes

Hmmm I ll have to read on the gas laws before I give advise
And the problem is that the propane boils off a lot faster making your mix diffrent if any gas other than N2 gets
Released

1 Like

Ya that makes senseā€¦
So i guess im back to square one lol.
I Shouldve posted the solvent type sooner. My bad.

1 Like

Iā€™m running the same kind of mix you are, Iā€™ve thought about switching as well. It is a pain fighting the extra pressure from propane.

However doesnā€™t the propane in the mix pull additional goodies? I thought each gas in the tri blend pulled slightly different things.

1 Like

I switched to N-Butane recently. Iā€™m not sure it I like it or not to be honest. I donā€™t use dry ice very often. I run passive only on a smaller 1/4lb system. If I had my N2 assist ready though I think N-Butane would be my solvent of choice due to the lower pressures and higher BP.

Did a run over the weekend, my tank was sitting at 5psi with Ntane. I had a hard time getting anything to move without any assistance. I ended up injecting @5psi, leaving a bit left over, then doing a warm vapor push by putting the tank in warm water. The pressure only got to 25psi in 100F water. It did what I wanted it to do, but it took a while. I didnā€™t get to run the CRC because I had barely any pressure and figured it wouldnā€™t make it through the powders and sintered disc. This was all outside at temps of ~25F

I had pretty slow flow through the 1.5" sintered disc, but didnā€™t use any other filtration.

Recovery was fast though. I actually recovered the 5lbs in around 15 mins. I had to re-inject to wet the extract enough to pump out the pour spout.

When I used a blend I would use salt ice water for recovery. With N-Butane I just use ice water. My second run over the weekend I didnā€™t even heat the collection, just let it sit at room temp and had the recovery tank in ice water. I hate using salt water honestly because it corrodes your clamp nuts and bolts really quickly.

Recovery was around 36F, collection was at 50F. Recovered 5lbs in about 45 mins that way. Slow but for my little system it works well.

Note though that the recovery tank never goes into negative pressure with just ice water, so you wonā€™t recover everything. Youā€™ll recover until the liquid is all gone, but your system will still have like 15-20psi in there.

All said, if youā€™re not using dry ice, N-Butane is probably an easier thing to work with. When I was on the blend my ratio would change each run and got pretty un-balanced. My tank was sitting around 50psi at room temp, sometimes 60 on a hot day. Wtih N-tane I get a max pressure of like 30 if Iā€™m lucky and itā€™s balls hot.

1 Like

Always

1 Like

I donā€™t mind it warming after extraction.

Crc warm is fine with me!

2 Likes

if the system is suitable for the pressure increase just turn up evaporator heat and you can condense at room temperature.

any propane mix will likely need some chilling help if youā€™re running >6inch triclamps.

2 Likes

Savage. What psi do you forsee

youā€™re in control. 100psi is still in the reasonable zone.

1 Like

So how do you vent the n2 with it warming up? Wjat solvent do you use?

Why would I want to vent the n2 through the crc process? I watch the psi in 4 different locations throughout the process, if it expands as it heats up it just saves me from having to keep bumping it to maintain flow

Ntane

1 Like

Itā€™s much easier to have solvent tank on dry ice slurryā€¦once u wait about 15mi maintaining the dry ice temps to get tank to temp
.then vent the positive pressure off to zero. Thatā€™s it. Thatā€™s saying you can cool your solvent tank. Butane cooled to dry ice temps is -30-+0psi

At dry ice temps the only positive pressure left should be nitro

1 Like

At salt water temps also
Thatā€™s the thing -0.8C is enough to keep in a liquid state
Yet we cool like mad there seem to be beter ways not done with my research but seems our cryo cooling is futile

3 Likes

No im asking do you need to cool the collection base down after the crc to get to 0psi to vent. You say you dont.

1 Like

Not at all. All the incoming gas is still so cold I donā€™t have to do anything but vent the n2 when collection is doneā€¦

1 Like

I also donā€™t cool down my gas tank, I use 100ā€™ of 3/8 stainless wart chillers in dry ice baths, for injection and recovery. Works like a freaking dream

3 Likes

How big is your crc column