Running n2 without di on collection?

Well you can let it boil a little
Also this tech will have still some n2 in your receiving tank that might get compressed by your recovery unit
So I check the pressure of the tank regularly to bleed any N2 out of the solvent tank
This N2 is also there if you where to cool your collection pot for N2 is heavier than air and the airspace in your collection will still be filled with N2
After bleeding for we live in 15psi atmosphere

1 Like

How would you know if there is n2 in your solvent tank?
Like how much higher psi would you see? And is that bad for the revovery pump?
Also how would you bleed from the tank? Same as collection? I cant see inside of my solvent tank to see if it boiling

That’s where the chart comes in handy
A temp reading of your tank will show which pressure should be on the gauge
Any deviation will tell you what’s up
The importance is that no pressure builds above recommended pressure

1 Like

Makes sense. You have been very helpful. And i appreciate your help.

How many runs do you get in usually before having to vent the n2 from the solvent tank?

Say you have a lot of head space in collection and you bleed your N2
Start recovering in solvent tank
Till 80% but the headspace in solvent tank is smaller than the headspace in collection pot
The N2 will be compressed and give a higher pressure reading on the solvent tank

Pfff that varies a lot I can already hear by the sound of my recovery unit that there is pressure in the solvent tank
So I bleed a little

I dont have the ability to do that while running. I use a lpg cylinder. One of the yellow ones. Not a ss triclamp one.

You can connect the recovery unit to the diptube (that’s how it should be)
And bleed treu the vapor valve

1 Like

Really? the recovery side should be the diptibe side? Why is that? I get the logic for a passive system but not active.
My tank is a 12x24 lpg tank. Running that upside down seems crazy to me

1 Like

The hot vapor from the recovery unit bubbles treu the solvent and cools down faster than the other way around
There are several you tube movies about tanker trucks beeing filled or empty d by corken talking about this

Wouldnt the coil after the recovery pump be condensing it? And hot vapor not ever entering the tank?
When i ran a system that has a guage on the tank it remains at like 10psi (with warm solvent left in the tank from not needing it for the run) if i run the entire tank the pressure is close to 0psi.
I dont use dry ice anywhere except the coil

You need a new gauge unless you work in a cold spot 10psi is very little
But if you condensed al vapor in the coil than the solvent gets pushed in yust as fast for the orificces on the valves are the same

Well before the run the guage reads like 40-50psi.
I recover through a coil in a dry ice slurry so the solvent is going into the tank cold liquid (into the vapor port)
On this specific tank running upside down is not an option (12x48 ss tank)

I didn t recomend running upside down
!!!
I recomend connecting the recovery unit to condensing coil to diptube valve
On solvent tank

1 Like

Then how would we inject the solvent?
A valve?

Aha that s treu i have several solvent tanks sorry
Yes a Valved T should do the trick

I guess you can build something with t fittings and valves and hoses so you can revover and inject through the same port. Just more points for potential leaks though

1 Like

@downtheterphole I think it be nice if you would enlighten us with the best recommended solvent recovery path
For active systems
Also wouldn’t salt ice water be enough to condense our tane when running active
Thx

1 Like

Keep in mind. Its 404020 iso n pro

Aha stick to dry ice :+1::grin:

1 Like