Run ethanol in a slightly modified closed loop?

poor man ethanol extraction / ethanol recovery ? Modified bho cls ? ( minus the bho ). Any one done this or have thoughts? …

1 Like

Yeah just use the butane

This has been done by several members

4 Likes

What he said. :point_up:

There’s a thread here somewhere talking about it. I think best use for a cls involving etoh would be modifying it to use for pressure filtration, and just extract in a bucket tek fashion.

If you can use clean butane in a cls, why would you want to mess around with ethanol? If you can’t, or don’t want to use butane, and already have a cls, then by all means, tinker around.

8 Likes

I currently run butane in a cls , was just trying to get experiment with some different solvents . Thanks for the tip !

1 Like

Here’s a link to a similar thread. Oldie but a goodie:

1 Like

You can use nitrogen to push freezing ethanol into a cls.

I never bottom fill but!! If you’re gonna try using ethanol in a cls to extract you should bottom fill and transfer what you made into a dewaxing column to a filter stack down to 1um or just to a filter stack like crc but for etoh.

Then you’re gonna have to modify your recovery port to have a 1.5" tc opening so you can add a shotgun condenser or dephlemator.

You could also extract in a dewaxing chamber.

I asked one time if you can use a diaphragm pump to push the ethanol from a tank and the answer is no and to use nitrogen but interestingly enough you can use a diaphragm pumps postive pressure side for pressure filtering.

There’s also this to get 75% of the etoh out of the biomass in a column.

Honestly up to you but you’re much better off just using a cls as a pressure filter or for butane extraction.

2 Likes

yep. trivial. documented. and now sold by Precision.

but you know that already.

1 Like

then you were given the incorrect answer. I’ve used the outlet from a welch diaphragm (vacuum!) pump to push ethanol out of kegs.

looking @GreenMachine_Consult’s response

I would simply add that the temperature matters here (the pressure does too, but you’d be hard pressed to achieve pressure based ignition with ethanol using available tooling). at -40C you’re golden. at -20C you’re fine. at 0C you shouldn’t have any issues…but as you approach the 16C flash point of ethanol, you should definitely understand you’re making a fuel air mixture.

if we’re talking LEL here, raising the pressure with AIR actually raises the temp at which you hit the LEL. Not gonna do the math for ya.

5 Likes

Bizzybee used his original hydrocarbon machines for cold etho, as well. Just have to spin the material as it comes out, which obviously wasn’t a long lasting method

2 Likes

agreed. it is absolutely do-able. just not as efficient as extracting in a centrifuge, because you leave a lot of solvent behind.

2 Likes

Yep. Wasn’t that atmos thing, or whatever the name was I can’t remember, that was a cup extractor, but the dumb ass thing didn’t have a spin cycle and they “noped” themselves out of the picture really quick

2 Likes

I KNEW I SHOULD’VE BUMPED FOR MORE Info on that thread. It was a curious thing that after I made that I saw threads bout cartridge filters for etoh that used pressure and vacuum and at the time I was like must be nitrogen powered and then I saw elaborate vacuums and compressors or dual diaphragm pumps being used…

Thank you, now I’m gonna design an etoh system at some point

3 Likes

What if you use nitrogen on a bi-di set up? Try to flush out the solvent both from the top and the bottom.

I think I get what ur saying ? I was thinking I was gonna keep pulling a vac on my collection tank because there’s no gas but could flammable fumes cause a explosion like this ? I can attach a tank to my collection tank as well , pull vac on this tank open ports to let one tank pull the other . Then vent off fumes from my second tank and repeat the process ? … lastly I was thinking maybe I can push the ethanol with butane fumes the way some people push there butane ?

I like the nitrogen idea but I don’t have nitrogen tanks

I’m guessing prv for the fumes? @cyclopath?

Don’t do this. It’s not safe.

4 Likes

Not sure how low I’d have to set the valve for this ? I Think I’m gonna try the double tank method just so I know I’m not sucking up any alcohol fumes in my vac pump

Thanks ! I thought it sounds like there may be hazards involved I was unaware of

1 Like

Cold trap! Use a cold trap or a resin trap.

3 Likes