RSO vs Ethanol Crude

Am I wrong here, isn’t RSO the same as decarbed ethanol crude?

I’m struggling to see the difference.

Ethanol crude manufacturers take additional steps (like subzero extraction, filtering, decarbing) to create a product better suited for distillation.

Rick is undoubtedly a pioneer & deserves respect but I wouldn’t recommend ‘naptha in a rice cooker’ tek to anyone.

7 Likes

I’ve been struggling to get a straight answer on what Crude is… I think because there are different versions with different desirabilities that share the name, crude.

I took a bunch of very decent but too dark for market BHO and dissolved it in 710 ethanol. Some was dewaxed online, most was not, but I performed winterization on all of it, some with dry ice and some with 2-3 day freezer stints. I did this twice for everything that was not previously winterized.
From there I’ve been filtering with buchner funnels, using information from ‘Cleartech’ and polishing threads, and others, with moderate success. I’ve used bvv carbon, 3a molecular sieves, t5, celite, and frustratingly, t41. It remains on the darker side, red, looks better than brown, but I’m missing something. I have alumina, celpore3000, and something else on the way… Ended up with around 10 half gallon Mason jars of sediment free dark but clear (not cloudy) tincture … I’ve been using a Source Turbo to distill off the 710 solvent. Oh… During filter process I adjusted the pH to around/right below 6ph on all of it

My questions are… Is what I’m doing making crude? If so, are there different price points for different kinds of crude (bho for example).?
Should I stop putting what I have in the little containers? If what I’m doing is making top dollar crude, I’d rather redesolve what I’ve packaged and aim for a liter of crude… which I may already be at.
Once I have a Liter, is it advantageous to decarb before sale? Or does that narrow the market pool?

Anything you see that I don’t know, that you know, and see I don’t know, and how could I know what I don’t even know I don’t know. These are the questions.

2 Likes

Essentially you’re correct. Any crude that is full spectrum and decarboxylated can be considered RSO, though Rick used to say it can only be naptha, and that all the nasty shit that comes along with using naptha will be cured by the cannabis anyway :rofl: I’d just stick with EToH or BHO lol

2 Likes

Hmm ok yes what you are /have is considered crude
But what pruduct are you putting in the little containers rso ?
A tincture for medicinal purpose ?
Almost always a small container pays more than a whole liter so what are you trying to make

I have an order for rso and I want to get it right. Based on my responses, I’m going to sell decarbed ethanol crude to satisfy the request

3 Likes

Yes, that is the correct response.

RSO is a crude cannabis extract.

A 90 sec QWET or a 3month warm soak in ethanol also qualify. Although the latter will look more familiar to folks used to “RSO”

2 Likes

A 3 month soak! That’s kind of eye opening and I should probably revisit my plans for my room temp ethanol soak. What is the minimum amount of time that a person should soak flower at room temps for the purpose of collecting only cannabinoids and not all that other plant material? I realize these temps still promote lots of leaching of other plant material.

A 3 month soak in an oak barrel :joy:
Wonder wich regulations control that
Could be a niche market tho cured rso
From 2016 (exelent year )

5 Likes

…the trim needs to cure in a warm barn, in scented garbage bags, for several years first.

5 Likes

Crude is just unprocessed concentrate.
So bho fresh out of a collection pot = crude
Eho fresh out of a collection pot= crude

2 Likes

Etoh crude

4 Likes