RSO degumming

Any other ways to degum RSO besides enzyme/saltwater separation?

Citric acid but iT gets nasty :rofl:
Cloges up everything. !

In a separatory funnel?

Carbon-chemistry has a “degumming clay” now, you might want to try that product.

Can you clarify how citric acid degums without saltwater /enzyme separation? Also, can it be then filtered for removal and is pH balancing after required?

If there is Some ethanol in solution adding
Citricacid Will make Some gums come out
Still need to rinse with water and brine to neutrelize

1 Like

Gotcha, I was trying to avoid water separation and see if there was a way to remove sugars while keeping in ethanol, even though I know the issues w water versus ethanol and polarity issues. Just seeing if there was a way to skip the hydration/separation step and keep the entire process exclusively mechanical/chemical filtration while in ethanol. Seems unlikely though

Hey Guys, got something for you to see. @Beaker started this discussion ‘Iso and water to dewax’ years ago and its fitting to announce this here. Beaker was so very close to an amazing find. Take a look at this video. This is a Charles Goodyear accidental discovery of vulcanizing rubber, a literal ‘Oh Shit’ moment…

This is @PharmExOregon doing the pour, I’m making the video. What you are seeing is what I call ‘Brine Isopropyl Degumming’. In order to keep down the typing, I’ve created this writeup (sorry for all the hyperbole as its meant for the consumer market.). Here’s how it works…

Basically, you can now degum by extracting with 99% ISO (91% works too…) , Add brine, shake, and the phospholipids precipitate in clouds of particulate, similar to a Snow Globe. Not only that, but the brine wash also absorbs proteins, sugars, acids, trichome shells. NO FILTERING NEEDED!!! Just siphon off the alcohol layer and you’re ready to reduce down to oil.

Give it a try. Here’s the the Operating Procedure in a Quick Start format.

Brine Isopropyl Degumming is great for making RSO at home, some thought will have to go into to take this to industrial scale. 91% ISO does work which means you can recycle your alcohol with simple distillation.

STOP before you reply. Lets consolidate this thread into @beaker 's original thread.

1 Like