ROUND-UP: is anyone testing?

I’ve called numerous labs in Colorado and California and it seems like no one tests for roundup or its active ingredient Glyphosate. Does anyone know a lab that tests for those?

You would imagine that they would be testing for such a common herbicide…

What are your thoughts?

6 Likes

What about testing for pine rosin? Mineral oil?

4 Likes

The pine rosin test is when it re-solidifies in your lungs. There is a crazy video going around of a kid dabbing some and it looks like his mouth was full of glue. IDK about mineral oil but plenty of places are testing for Vitamin E now.

I don’t believe Oregon requires testing for Glyphosphate.

2 Likes

I called a total of 17 labs from multiple states, the only one offering testing for Glyphosate is ACS Laboratories based out of Florida.

When I talked to their rep, he was also amazed how Botanacor, Eurofins, Aurum and multiple other labs do not test for those pesticides.

Makes me wonder, with the heavy use of roundup in US soil… most likely all hemp grown in farms that used Roundup for past crops or close to other farms using it will have at least traces if not high levels of this stuff in their biomass…

I’m sending out a sample to ACS Laboratory and I’ll update the thread when I get results…

15 Likes

So, maybe showing that I’ve never really dealt with outdoor but doesn’t glyphosate kill weed(s)? Why would that be near/on bud?

Second point: every lab I work with I’m sure would happily quantify glyphosate if I asked them to. They might charge for the standards or some validation time but if I was concerned that there was possible contamination, that’s what I’d do. We don’t test for carbon tet because there’s absolutely no way it would be present in our material, but if we started using it, you can be damn sure it’d be on our RS assay. Same deal here right?

6 Likes

I seen that shit his lips were covered! I think I have the video somewhere I’ll try to find it

5 Likes

Aerial spray drift.

5 Likes

I guess that’s what I figured but I assumed that the non-monsanto crops in the area would be pretty intolerant to it and you know, die. I don’t really understand the mechanism though and I also have not a fucking clue what an acceptable amount of glyphosate is for ingestion (I imagine this has been hotly debated and probably none of the numbers are real)

3 Likes

You figured right, its used to kill many crops for harvest/processing. Chemical desiccation drying!

Also double concern with cannabis, via ingestion and inhalation!

5 Likes

Lol that is a terrifying thought

“We sprayed agent orange on all the tobacco so we can just pick the leaves off the ground already dried. It’s fine tho, it’s not actually dangerous to smoke; we haven’t lost a 30 year legal battle saying so yet”

11 Likes

What if the ‘hemp’ farmer was once a corn farmer that sprayed roundup on his crops every year… Would it be safe to assume that since cannabis is a bio-accumulator, and it was planted in a field with high concentrations of such chemical it most likely will have absorbed the toxins?

2 Likes

I mean I guess the important question would still be “if the hemp accumulates enough glyphosate to be a health risk, would it harm/kill the plant?” I would imagine if you tried to grow hemp in soil that had been doused with it for years it would just kill the hemp but again, without even a good metric if how much roundup is acceptable to consume (ppb? ppm? ppq?) I’m not sure how you would answer it

2 Likes

Very good point… Another thing to consider are levels present in the flower, but what if you’re making crude/distillate? those numbers are probably off the roof because everything gets concentrated…

I am also surprised no states require testing for the mycotoxins that fusarium produce. Tabacoo companies do .

Are there specific toxins that fusarium produces that aren’t covered on a full panel myco screen? I think our mandated tests include multiple types of aflatoxin and cytotoxins.

Fusarium fungi are common to the soil and produce a range of different toxins, including trichothecenes such as deoxynivalenol (DON), nivalenol (NIV) and T-2 and HT-2 toxins, as well as zearalenone (ZEN) and fumonisins. The formation of the moulds and toxins occur on a variety of different cereal crops. Different fusarium toxins are associated with certain types of cereal. For example, both DON and ZEN are often associated with wheat, T-2 and HT-2 toxins with oats, and fumonisins with maize (corn). Trichothecenes can be acutely toxic to humans, causing rapid irritation to the skin or intestinal mucosa and lead to diarrhoea. Reported chronic effects in animals include suppression of the immune system. ZEN has been shown to have hormonal, estrogenic effects and can cause infertility at high intake levels, particularly in pigs. Fumonisins have been related to oesophageal cancer in humans, and to liver and kidney toxicity in animals.

![]

Species within the genus Fusarium produce a diverse range of mycotoxins, many of which have significant impacts on human health. Of the five generally recognised major mycotoxins, three (fumonisins, deoxynivalenol (DON) and zearalenone (ZON)) are produced by Fusaria. Apart from DON, other trichothecenes such as T-2 toxin, have received considerable international attention due to their impact on human health. The fumonisins, which occur ubiquitously in maize and its products, have been linked to oesophageal cancer, liver cancer and neural tube defects. DON, a frequent contaminant of maize, wheat and their products, although showing no carcinogenic potential, is immunomodulatory and produces emesis and growth retardation in animals. ZON is a naturally occurring endocrine disrupting chemical. Acute exposure to these mycotoxins has in each case been linked to outbreaks of human disease–gastro-intestinal effects in the case of fumonisins and DON, and precocious pubertal changes in the case of ZON. Concern over their toxicological effects has led to risk assessments by the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA), which has set maximum tolerable daily intakes (TDI) of 2 µg/kg body weight (bw) for fumonisins and 0.5 µg/kg bw for ZON. The initial TDI set for DON, namely 1 µg/kg bw has recently been updated by JECFA to include both 3-and 15-acetylDON. Apart from the above mycotoxins, a number of other secondary metabolites (moniliformin, beauvericin and fusaproliferin) are produced by different Fusaria and their effects on human health, either alone or in combination with other mycotoxins, is largely unexplored.

they dont test for it because it has the ability to shutter the entire industry, I have tried countless times to get a lab to do this for me and even the ones that pretended to be interested in it blew me off…my guess is 75% of hemp would fail if actually tested for glyphosate

1 Like

Wow - that’s crazy - surely the most common herbicides should be screened - maybe they focus on pesticides as those are more likely to have mammalian toxicity

Colorado has mandatory mycotoxin testing. 2 aflatoxins and oschratoxins.

Edit: Just realized that you mentioned fusarium specifically.

Also: I’m aware of an R&D test done on biomass which failed mycotoxin testing, yet, both the crude and distillate passed testing. So, there’s options for those aforementioned toxins.