Roughness Tester for Jacketed Reactor

Can anyone recommend a roughness tester that would be suitable for measuring the inside of a jacketed reactor vessel?

From what I understand the mitutoyo ones are excellent. Not cheap.

2 Likes

anything mitutoyo is going to be expensive!!! but some of the best measuring implements on the planet.

i have some Mitutoyo digital calipers and they are one of my prized possessions. well worth the money. you never want to be second guessing your instruments.

Starrett is another great company that may have what your looking for. they are probably even more expensive then mitutoyo however. American made tho, if your into that.

2 Likes

I always use an orbital welding service certification company to do this for me. That started for me like… 15 years ago? They bring out a guy and make this happen, then give you the RA rating certificate. There’s probably other ways… but might be cheaper than buying the device.

They almost always use the mitutoyo ones - plus the standards kit (has things to calibrate the handheld device in it). So if are going to do this all the time - buy the handheld from grainger or whatever.

And if you are only going to do it every once and a while. Then look for a group that will come do this for you like exactmetrology - the will do it for you and also rent equipment out for this purpose in the midwest. They also can do 3D renderings and convert to drawings, if you don’t have good CAD in your shop.