Roto Evaporator issues

Hey if it works… it works… even if it’s a bunch of things that don’t work… this is like adding a whole bunch of negative numbers together and then getting a positive result- abstract to most but to the scientist :woman_scientist: :man_scientist: it’s all about the results- which will be very inconsistent if you keep this up.

still makes every part of my ass itch please just get an $8 vacuum relief valve off of amazon and some proper hosing.

6 Likes

Haha yeah man… it wasnt a permanent solution just so i could finish the crude i had .

1 Like

i will be! Thanks!

Use the continuous feed line like Plague says, If you add a bunch of new ethanol to a hot solute that’s in the boiling flask it will boil over every time. Let it drip in at the same rate that your are precipitating ethanol from the column. I like my solute feed to not shoot into the middle of the boiling flask, but hit the neck and run down the side of the glass into the sample thats in the boiling flask. There should be no sudden changes when running your roto, do everything in small increments, keep everything smooth, so you don’t boil over, or crack any glass, or get ethanol in your vac pump. Cold trap (or even two) is a must.

1 Like

And the pharmacy guys looking to take over this field are laughing like hell at you. if you are looking to have others consume and you don’t control all the controllable inputs you are going to be inconsistent in the outputs. I would recommmend a real vacuum hose, needle valve vacuum vent then as soon as you can a water aspiration vacuum. No oil, very rugged, forgiving, and consistent. I believe greenbuggy on here has some for sale around $300. Then you can start the long fun journey learning how to process your product. Rotavac alone may take a year or more to master. But man you are a chemist.

2 Likes

Agreed. I always say it takes a few days to learn HOW to do it, and a couple years to MASTER it. That’s hard for people to understand. They think if they see it once they know HOW, but they don’t realize the guy they watched has been doing it for years, thats WHY he makes it look easy.

1 Like

I like this one, it’s not strong enough to surprise bump on you and no oil changing. I don’t use a needle valve. But do get a cutoff valve or water from the pump goes up the vac tube into the condenser.

If the solution is bumping into your recovery flask right as youre feeding, I likely know why. I have 2 of these at work. When I feed more solution i have to pull the flask out of the heating bath, feed, then lower again. On mine the vapor stream going from the flask to the condenser is enough to blow my fed solution back into recovery. Maybe get a ptfe tube to extend your feed tube further into the evap flask.

BVV use to have them. Amazon has a bit cheaper one and I’ve used the roto and buchi with it. Just watch the. Vacuum back pressure when you shut them down

They have surgical tubing that doesn’t bend like that. Those type of lines tend deform with consistent vacuum

It took me 1 try after watching a video. And now 30 mins into a run, shes dialed in and no more babysitting.

1 Like

its a learning process. you have to do it to learn and make mistakes and figure out what works and what doesnt work

1 Like

i never used the feeding tube. i always pulled my flask off…poured in the solution and mix it for a while before i start again. The reason i was bumping was because my vacuum was way too strong didnt have anything to do with the feeding tube

that isnt the main tubing i use. the only reason i used that tubing was for it to intentionally deform and cut my vac pressure and to stop ethanol from running into my vac

Oh and use a cold trap. It doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive. The more you innovate the better it works and the less it costs.

yeah i have a cold trap. im actually done rotoevaping all my crude. so i moved on gonna be distilling next and i for sure will use my cold trap.

Use Natural Gum Hose. It doesn’t collapse and doesn’t react.

So simple!! Thanks mister :cowboy_hat_face:

Hey guys. I’m working with mother liquor and incorporating it into some products and although the residual pentane is officially within acceptable range, I’d like it to be closer to zero, as I come form an ethanol extraction tradition and have a thing about stanky-ass residual hydrocarbons. If it had say 1 or 2000 ppms, how far do you think I could get that down in a rotavap at what temp for how long? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

What else are you afraid of loosing?

Acidic cannabinoids? (Gotta keep the heat down)

Terpenes? (Can’t suck too hard or too hot).

What are you doing next? (Adding MCT?!?) because diluting THEN suck would help.

1 Like