Rosin Fractioning / Rosin Carts

You really ought not be decarbing in glass jars if you can’t show the math that makes it safe.

50% head room is NOT sufficient.

Even in stainless with appropriate prv you can get hurt.

I’ve implemented these hash powered rockets to make the process more interesting…

We have tried degassing in the centrifuge. Not sure it was a win. Not sure it wasn’t…

Will probably have to try again.

8 Likes

50 percent head room with respect to the volume of input?

Yep. That is what @MondoLabs was suggesting.

Seems woefully Insufficient to me.

Glass fragmentation grenades, in addition to being dangerous, are also a waste of hash…

2 Likes

My head space is close to 98%, so I’m way ahead on what @MondoLabs was saying. Shoot even 50 percent like you were saying is way too small in my opinion.

1 Like

Then why don’t you share you SOP instead just shooting everyone down bubba.

Can’t read huh?

What you’ve shared is dangerous. If you can’t understand the math that demonstrated that, you might consider trying a little harder.

Shared the concept in 2018 Decarb under pressure to retain terps?

Have also shared pictures of the devices I’m using, posted the temps and times , and bought up issues encountered since then.

I’ve also tried to get the appropriate math into every thread it belongs in.

So fuck off with the

I’m trying to keep glass outta peoples faces. At this point I don’t care how you personally want to perform this trick because you’ve demonstrated you’re to cool to math. Might look cool too once you’re wearing an eye patch…

I don’t HAVE a “standard” operating procedure to share, because imo I’m not doing it right yet.

Neither are you if you’re doing it in sealed glass jars.

13 Likes

I respect it man. I guess I should switch over to doing all of this in a diamond miner like @Thetetraguy taught me. Wasn’t quite aware that the jar could explode at such a low temperature.

1 Like

Awesome!

I’d edit out some my previous post, except that that would be dishonest. I’ll apologize instead.

Forgive me for getting pissy.

Cool as scars are, I don’t wish you or a one else any more than they truly desire (some folks pay for that shit :shushing_face:).

I’m dead serious when I say I don’t have an “SOP” that’s ready for prime time. I’ve got two burns on my forearm just from reconfiguring our first production decarb unit to make it safer last week.

Your protocol is a decent start. Except you need to understand how the ideal gas law and the mass balance involved affect the required headroom (or just trust the nice dr and stop using glass)

6 Likes

I appreciate that bro. I should’ve read through your post before claiming you don’t share info. I apologize as well. But this whole thing is very confusing imo. I see the majority of hash cart makers using glass jars to decarb in, its very mis leading. Even big brands are using mason jars. But I definitely agree with you it’s not worth taking a risk on loosing a eye or getting glass shards in your arm etc. I’ve had my fair share of injury’s as is. I’m not going to lie I knew I was doing it wrong when I heard my mason jar making popping noises in the oven. Actually was just crossing my fingers that it didn’t explode lmao. But I’ll try and edit my post and make a diamond miner sop.

4 Likes

This was my first batch of live rosin disposables. After about a month every single one of them crystalized. I had to take a heat gun and dump all of them out and add 4-5% canna terps and decarb for longer. It definitely helped but still not the best.

1 Like

What a mess

3 Likes

If you don’t actually tighten the lid, you’re fine.

They are actually designed to hold vac not pressure, so presumably folks are getting away with this because the LEAK under pressure.

MOST of the time it’s the lid that goes…least that’s the tell.

I’ve only destroyed them in the fuge so far, and we’ve made it past that stage (documented for the class too).

If you put 1/2 mol (177g) of THCA into a 500ml jar, you need to understand that the CO2 you generate will take up 11liters at rm temp/pressure….and you only have 0.3liters headspace in your jar

4 Likes

You would be surprised actually, even with a tightly sealed lid, using only 10 g in a 16 oz mason jar (roughly 98% head space) rated at 30 psi, the integrity of the lid (which is aluminum or tin and not stainless steel) will fail before the glass because it has a lower pressure rating. Kind of how diamond mining disfigures the mason jar lids, this also occurs and will lead to slight off gassing which will again keep the pressure lower than that of your glass container and not at critical capacity. So in theory, the closed glass container is never fully closed

Again, dangerous and not ideal. But it is all I have and I understand the math, and have pushed my luck a few times and come out alright. Protective eyewear, lab coat, etc. Never too much or enough safety!

1 Like

If you have cannabis based thread sealant, it may seal well past the standard pressure that a jar will safely contain. I came back to a “sploded jar” one time a long time ago

4 Likes

Cannabis based thread sealant is awesome stuff, but can definitely cause problems in the wrong location .

I scared myself with a three in triclamp lid just a couple of weeks back.

It became stuck in place with dried EtOH tincture and released violently several seconds after the clamp was removed.

Made sure not to include that particular trick in the “SOP” we were developing (found another solution).

3 Likes

I know how

3 Likes

You just going to tell us that you know or share with the class? I know at least a few of us would appreciate hearing how you do that. Purging CO2 post-decarb is a necessity we’d love to avoid if possible!

2 Likes

We flatten post decarb relatively quickly in the vac oven. I suppose it could also be purged in the chamber prior to draining…

1 Like

You are able to segregate gaseous terps from gaseous co2?

1 Like

Here is a video on mechanical separation: Solventless THCA Separation - Lowtemp Plates - YouTube

You can add the terpenes from your separation to your jar after this process to increase the flavor:

1 Like