Rosin Carts?!?

After tons of reading and searching it just seems that this isn’t doable simply due to the waxes and lipids left behind and any further form of cleaning would involve adding a solvent. I hope im just missing something and theres a way and step to make this possible… anyone else tried and succeeded?

I’ve used it for winterized material
… The manufacturer states it will work

Refer to my post that @StoneD posted. You’ll have to play around with it, and yes, not all rosin will work due to its high wax/lipid content. There is some more runny rosin that will work if you dilute it appropriately. It does need to be diluted quite a bit though.

Also, if you use a glass cart, you can make it work even if its waxy by lightly heating the cart with a lighter before you smoke it to make the contents flow better into the atomizer. Not ideal, but a gentle heating each time will do the trick if your extract is too waxy. Eventually it might clog the atomizer but only in very waxy cases.

Its all about starting with less waxy rosin and testing different percentages of dilution.

4 Likes

Have you tried re-pressing the waxy stuff with a finer micron screen? I’ve heard you can use no heat presses on rosin to get a more oily product.

5 Likes

https://www.blueriverterps.com/new-products/vape

Does anyone have insight on Blue River’s process and what they add?

1 Like

I know their “jelly” is just really good dry sift with cannabis derived terps added.

I’m not sure on the PAX pods, I have yet to try one but hear they are the flame!

@ExTek90 I would love to know more about that re-press process and the losses involved… Maybe a combo of re-press and dilution could be the answer for rosin carts. I also assume blue river is adding a ton of terps to their stuff. Yummy.

5 Likes

I’m not too savvy on it honestly, what I know is from a lengthy conversation with a guy that had been doing it awhile, accompanied with minor research I’d done early in my experimentation.

The guy mentioned using a half sized micron screen on whatever especially waxy stuff he had already pressed. Something like 20-40% total loss on the second press, but, he said he lost even more if he winterized the same stuff, more like 50%. Starting material was obviously the key factor, and he mentioned only getting the high end of those losses on sub-par material. I didn’t ask about specific pressures used, it wouldn’t have meant much as I haven’t actually used a rosin press before and have no frame of reference.

3 Likes

I’m not as familiar with rosin. Is it super terpy? Would it work as cart flavoring?

2 Likes

Noooooo lol

6 Likes

I remember when I wanted to make rosin carts…3 months ago lol. That ship has since sailed. One day though! Hash rosin carts!

1 Like

ive Been doing mechanically separated hash rosin and delta 8 for ha ha’s. I’ve tried every fake terp company, cannabis derived terp, hemp terp, all of them. Nothing compares to a properly made rosin cart. Tastes like A’s on a bowl every single hit. One of these days I’ll make it to a GLG meetup to show the truth.

8 Likes

We have a customer who makes the most amazing rosin carts. Not sure of their tech, but I have personally tried them and they are absolutely amazing. Despite making cartridge fillers, I don’t really enjoy the taste of most cartridges, but will puff of theirs every day.

https://www.instagram.com/theverdantleaf/

Agreed =)

5 Likes

I’m definitely intrigued.

I think I see that ship pulling a Uturn.

I will never reveal my precious tech unless I was making it for a company but there is a way it can be done and I don’t care what anyone says but it is hands down the closest I’ve seen a cart come to tasting like top shelf flower. It is the one thing only thing I consider myself proud of being able to produce in the cannabis industry. It took years and years of disappointment trying every fake terp company and all the cannabis derived terps i could get my hands on. And one metric fuck ton of wasted rosin to figure out.

5 Likes

Let’s all hope some company pays you a butt-load of money, because we need more good rosin carts in the world!

4 Likes

Its extremely doable, starting off with 5-6 star hash. Putting time and love into the hash making will result in a rosin product that will be easier to work with.

Next steps for me vary by strain, but usually involve a low heat treatment typically for a few days in a vac

7 Likes

I know this isn’t really a hash rosin cart since one would be using ethanol as a secondary solvent… but if you redissolve the rosin in ethanol and winterize it should work just fine correct? I’m asking for a friend who is a homegrower just looking for a way to make his own carts. He doesn’t want to use any hydrocarbons and doesn’t have the ability to chill the ethanol to the appropriate temperature necessary for a proper EHO extraction that could be used in carts.

Any input advice or experience in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

IME it’s very difficult to get the etOH to non detectable levels w/o some kind of distillation after you winterize.

That may be a problem for vape carts

1 Like

It works. I did it years ago in small batches just to see what happens. Worked surprisingly well. Still smelled like rosin, not EHO. If it’s already concentrated into Rosin then you don’t need to use much ethanol to crash out waxes so it’s not as much to remove after. It’s just not a very scalable/efficient way of doing things but yes it can yield a solid product. Definitely seems like a backwards way to do it but it works

2 Likes