Room Temperature Winterization/Desolvation

31e20c_9f0ca94ae9594c7aa28e0ced4feb737a.pdf (1.7 MB)

Has anybody got their feet wet yet on membrane filtration? In theory it certainly seems like it would be a huge improvement in our line of work. Machine claims 65 gallons per hour (250L) winterizing and separating ethanol at room temperature. Leaving a 2:1 ethanol to crude slurry which could run into other membranes, a reactor or a falling film for final solvent removal. What are your thoughts, hivemind? Do you think the ability to winterize at room temp while running warm soaks with ethanol or heptane, all sans chillers, is worth having to deal with a 2:1 ethanol : crude slurry? I’m certainly interested.

1 Like

3 Likes

I’m actually working on this as we speak

3 Likes

Heres some before and after shots

2 Likes

What’s the cost of that? I’m assuming there are much smaller new options? Like 20 gallons an hour?

2 Likes

So the 2:1 slurry can be reran to reduce the solvent % even more. You should be able to get 90 to 95%of the solvent out

2 Likes

Still 2:1 isn’t bad just falling film it. It’s the scaling of winterization and color remediation that’s the true bitch

2 Likes

You’ll loose the Terps if you put it through a FFE

1 Like

True. This for thc product mainly your concerned about? Cause hemp biomass generally doesn’t have a huge term concentration. But I would love to harvest my 2-5% or so I do see. All though I got a dank batch coming in that may be even higher

1 Like

They dont make these in that small of a size.

25 liters an hour or 100

You could stack multiples in a row but they’re expensive as fuck to be doing that with the smaller membrane

1 Like

I’m concerned for hemp.

Hemp usually has more terpenes then THC cultivars, ppl have just been throwing them away and not trying to preserve them.

The difference in price between full spectrum and broad spectrum is 20 to 30 on a gram here, that’s huge

1 Like

Ya and we are working on harvesting and doing testing and research on flavonoids for their medicinal purposes. Certain flavonoids are great vasodilators and such. Gonna be some big stuff coming from my company for research in hemp based data. If you Wana get on board or submit things you would like us to study I’d be happy to chat. Have a lot of connections and contacts that will allow us to start making genuine claims for our CBD products soon hopefully. Among other great data that’s been sorely lacking

@Kingofthekush420

2 Likes

I believe this unit is right around the 300k Mark.

This machine is much more geared toward fixing those bottle necks than solvent removal.

The company Ecosce has been really open. Contact them and they will schedule videos to detail their process and they can talk scalability more accurately than I. This tech is certainly exciting though. Those before and afters are beautiful @Kingofthekush420

2 Likes

Yes, i have run these. They do work as described and the rates are right on where they are advertised at (for ethanol at least, i have not run hexane at scale yet). Btw @Kingofthekush420 did not make the oil in those pictures. It was another extractor we have both been in touch with.

There are many great uses of these membranes. Here is impressive cleanup we did on a room temperature methanol extract that had been used for extraction five times (very, very impure)

6 Likes

Very impressive! Would you mind stating the solvent load with these samples?

Oh it’s the same in both. This is methanol solution that’s been through cleanup membrane only. Not pure concentrate. Should have made that clear

1 Like

Isnt this picture the pic where you were running the machine wrong and failed to dewax or remove solvent?

It was an attempt to remove solvent, but it dewaxed instead. Owing to different solvent choice and very low run pressure.

Yes everyone would be aware, the pores of these membranes are not rigid. They change sizes dependent on both pressure and solvent type. Therefore the listed Dalton ratings are only accurate for the specific conditions they were tested in.

5 Likes