Room Temp Winterization

High Everyone!

First time posting here long time reader so bare with me as I will probably do something wrong. Has anyone looked at the L-SEP room temp winterization process that Precision Extraction is doing? It looks to me like they are chemically inducing fat crystallization via pH shock or using some kind of a surfactant. Not sure what is going on here but WOW what a time saver!
Here is a link to their video demonstration: - YouTube
I have an idea that I want to share with everyone but it only makes sense if we can figure out this quick winterization step. Looking around the internet I have read a Google patent for a high pH (pH of 12) acetone winterization, but I am not sure that this is it without experimenting first. Would love the community’s input on this! Thanks!

2 Likes

I don’t know exactly what they’re doing (and boy do i hate simple SOPs being used as a vehicle to make you buy marked up equipment), but mixing oil and acetonitrile causes a similar effect.

3 Likes

gross… bp will be a good indicator as to what it is.

I mean if you buy it they need to provide an SDS… I don’t see how they expect to keep this secret when it’s literally just a solvent system.

ACN, i used for prepping GCMS samples in my analytic lab. It absolutely will not dissolve wax and you’d see this all the time. If you put shatter in, all the color would be drained out and just the wax matrix would be left behind, like a skeleton. Then if you shook it it would fall apart into flakes.

4 Likes

This is the part where you tell the guy his dewax was bad, then he says he is 100% sure it got it all out…then you show him the undissolved portion. I was that guy back in 2007…

Also accidently threw water cup onto guy running the gc… :confounded:

1 Like

Perhaps its pH adjusted Acetonitrile? going to play with it and see. We use ACN in my testing lab as well for liquid liquid sample prep for gummies.

Whatever you do, don’t drink the ACN

3 Likes

Acetonitrile is a very unique solvent. If not for it’s toxicity, one might say it’s the perfect solvent, for all the impurities we strive to remove are largely insoluble in it. Furthermore it is a unique triphasic solvent for LLE, being immiscible with both alkanes and brine.

2 Likes