Room temp citric acid isomerization

What could happen if you had a few jars of crude high CBD hemp oil that was diluted with ethanol and mixed with citric acid sitting on the shelf for a year at room temperature? Do you think it would be worthwhile to try to isolate the CBD or might it be unhealthy?

Does anyone have any data on citric acid effects on CBD under similar conditions?

You would likely have a mix of isomers, and possibly some CBD

Without chromatography, which would be absurdly expensive compared to just buying CBD, you would have what I refer to as “Chemical Poop Soup” which belongs in the garbage

3 Likes

Are you sure? At just room temperature? It was 70%cbd to start with. But if it does crystallize, and then is re crystallized, would that be safe maybe?
Comparatively, what’s the price to buy a single 1 kilo of pure CBD?

CBD isomerizes at room temperature when exposed to air over time. Of course citric acid over one year would cause isomerization

1 Like

Yeah, I guess that’s looking like garbage. Nobody likes CBD anyway, . It’s definitely not the best of the cannabinoids, if I had to choose one.

So, I was just wondering, how much CBD could be expected to be left? Enough that it may crystallize easily? I may just try some shit just for to learn maybe.

Send it out for testing…

5 Likes

So, it’s only like a gallon, not really worth the cost of testing. I just thought that if it made crystals and re crystals, those would be reasonably pure CBD. But, correct me if that’s wrong, please.

No way to tell what you have from the other side of a computer screen. Testing isn’t too expensive… if you can’t afford it, you probably shouldn’t be messing around with the stuff anyway.

4 Likes

Just try to crystallize it and see what you get. Crystallize it in something non-polar that won’t take up the citric acid.

1 Like

Yes, if you recrystallize the CBD many times, you can get it pure again. No idea how much is left in there though.

1 Like