Rockwool cubes to start hydroponics. Yes or No?

Does anyone skip the cube all together?

1 Like

Done it both ways on a personal scale. I found it’s quicker/easier to aeroclone and transplant into hydroton for DWC or flood & drain. I didn’t like playing with rockwool much, coco would be preferrable.

1 Like

Thank you. :octopus::smile:

One other method is a bit more time consuming, bare soak your cuts in oxygenated water like in a quart cup… swap out the water frequently until white dots (or hairs) appear … those are roots ready for medium (of your choice) plant carefully and feed lightly at first.
Bare soaking been around for a longtime… optional, one drop Super Thrive in cup will assist but not necessary… oxygenated water is the key (even with tap crap municipal water).
I happen to have some backup cuts soaking for two weeks, got pimples showing.
Regards,

3 Likes

I got tired of buying cubes of anything and went to vermiculite in 105 cell web flat trays cut into small pieces.

1 Like

aero cloners better but if you have to use rw can buy the slabs and cut blocks yourself saves a lot of $ plus the slab rw tends to be more ‘airy’ than the cubes less compressed

I’m double filtering my water with two pentair filters a sediment and carbon. I plan on getting two more filters and a membrane at some point.

I got the slab and its a fucking bitch to cut. lmfao I was actually looking for pre-cut cubes the other day.

Now that I know that direct planting into medium is a thing I’m going to do it that way.

… Plenty of mediums to choose from (and many trips to grow shop $$) which ever grow system being used, give roots best medium to grab onto towards firm stalk-base. Rock wool sheet/slab, I made a core cutter with hollowed sharpened end soup can.

I’m embarrassed to say I’m just starting hydroponics this year.

I just got a root spa 4 bucket system and I have a couple sprouts that I started in soil.

I got lazy with cannabis stuff and I became a total custy for a while but I need to save money and I’m wasting money at dispensaries.

Small scale= you cant go wrong with the root riot plugs…can go into any medium. i would not use rockwool cubes unless i started growing in the big rockwool cubes again

2 Likes

Rockwool, myco and vermiculite tek best starts you’ll ever run.

What about air stones?

What would you all recommend for the root spa?

Yes, air stone’s in reservoir or in each bucket… oxygen is necessary and little barrel stones usually get build up along the way or break keep some extras, PH & TDS meters best to use with hydro feeding program … as for water, filtered water works good but look into a filter that remove Chloromines/Chlorines & other municipal disinfectants (biology killers). I tested a simple RV inline water hose filter… it removed the chlorine but did not bring down the TDS, a swimming pool test kit and test strip came useful.

1 Like