Rippin' and the inner city home: our loss may help remind others

We had a few plants clipped/ripped last night. My girl is in tears, but finds solace in that most weren’t ready and we’re only 3 weeks deep in a tarp-over-carport-frame greenhouse.

So, assuming Chi-town suburbs in a bad area economically, what are some methods to not make it so easy?

We assume we need a framed greenhouse tunnel next year with a commercial padlock, make it a little less grab and goey.

Any tips welcome. Not trying to get back at them, just better planning for next year.

My list of hypotheticals:
Trailcam
Framed walls and chickenfence below light dep plastic
Good padlocks
Backyard cameras
Bright motion lighting specific to polytunnel

Someone tell me there’s a cool wire that sends an SMS of motion or cut? Fake bait buds with air tags? Remediatable toxic 3M glitter?

We’ve moved everything to a friend’s house. Everyone’s safe.

She’s a really good grower, hugel beds(sp), KNF, JADAM, cultures, the whole nine yards.

3 Likes

Ah living in or near Crook County, my condolences.

Dogs are a great deterrent. Even if they aren’t aggressive, if they are just big and bark, that’s probably enough. Instead of watching chicken or the sheep for wolves, they can watch plants.

Everything else you listed is good too.

4 Likes

It depends - are you worried about theives suing you if they’re too fucked up? I know some have that as a legitimate concern when proofing their grows/homes. I have a bit of a zero tolerance approach to that type of thing sooo… Depends on how you like to play things.

1 Like

It was probably one of your close neighbors. Also the only thing greenhouses can keep safe is with steel walls and doors. Most thieves just cut holes in the side of the plastic or rip wire down. Good luck.

1 Like

Yeah no fish hook lines, toe popper boards, or anything truly effective.

I was hoping technology would solve this. /s

Two strobe lights and an mp3 player could be effective in west Virginia…

2 Likes

Electricity and lots of it.

If I was growing in my backyard in the city I’d likely have a live wire around the top inner edge of my fenceline so you can hear them go OH FUCK AUGHUGHUGHUGHUGHUGHG when they get zapped like a motherfucker, then since getting zapped like a motherfucker contracts your muscles naturally they are not in much of a ‘get away fast’ type position and are likely encouraged to just fucking leave.

If you get zapped good and hard running away is not a thing you can do unless you’re smoked Ike Turner amounts of wet. Maybe a loud shrieking type of alarm to chase them off but that can just draw more attention to yourself and have you answering questions from people you don’t wanna talking to.

5 Likes

I like this idea, I would add one of those sound cannons that farmers use to scare birds away from crop with as well. As soon as they pass a certain spot on the property a trip wire lets off after they pass it and all they hear is loud ass booms.

1 Like

My condolences. Also, it’s that time of year.

1 Like

Reolink cameras have push notifications on motion/detect people instead of just motion if you get the right type. No subscription fees

Wifi + solar panel, no real wires except to re-charge if you’re not getting much sun for long streams

3 Likes

I’m sorry this happened to you. Hopefully, they push their luck in the wrong backyard soon.

1 Like

Get a big dog. Better yet, get two.

1 Like

12g tripwire

Not as practical as a solid set of motion detectors / ring cameras, but makes a cool boom

4 Likes

I second the reolink advert, they have good prices and cool stuff like auto-tracking wifi/4G cameras.

And of course dogs, but that’s only if you want to have a new major responsibility.

1 Like