RFID chips on retail display products?

Hello everyone, while visiting a beautiful CBD store I discovered a form of retail informational displays that I would like to implement in my store. Each product had a chip you could swipe under a display that would pop up information, completely eliminating the eye sore of counter and wall displays.

After doing some digging I found this is who supply’s the hardware

Does anyone know of another similar company that provides this? Or have any experience using this brand?

I hope everyone’s having a great start to the weekend, much love :call_me_hand:

6 Likes

Sounds pretty slick. I wonder if the same chips could be integrated into other systems such as inventory and loss prevention alarms. An alternative not involving rfid would be a qr code with a scanner that leads to a web page, allowing customers to look up info on their phones or your stations.
The rfid would be a more elegant and advanced feature, but you may lose a few conspiracy kooks over the possible tracking implications.

2 Likes

The rfid seems like the way to go, it’s a pretty smooth working system I tried it out myself. Just haven’t gotten an email back from this company hoping they aren’t out of biz.

Even just scanning the QR code’s for lab results my customers have issues with, gotta make it as easy as possible it seems. 50% percent are older demographic too

3 Likes

loads a bowl… some ideas off the top of my head

Maybe something like google dialog flow with a browser app set into kiosk mode. Users could say something like, “tell me about bubba kush”, dialog flow will tell you to look up “bubba kush” and you could return a nicely laid out web page showing whatever information you want. It could even read them back pertinent information of your choosing.

Could do other helpful kiosk-y things like:

“Whats a good product for knee pain?”, Or stomach or whatever; you get the key word they said and can make a determination as to what information to show them.

Could do all kinds of cool stuff that only requires them to talk to an ipad type device. Could even do like, mobile order pickup and other helpful stuff.

Hmm this could be fun… would anyone be interested in such a thing?

1 Like

It would take me all of a day and $100 worth of parts to make something like this. I have to assume there is already an open source project out there which does it. It’s really trivial. Read card, run omxplayer, done.

Could it read the information on the rfid inside my vaccine?

1 Like

I work in retail

Please do not replace everything with QR code’s… it makes searching a lot harder

We have sku’s for it too

1 Like

yes. With our new technology can we even detect how many chromosomes you have and how many we can change

Wait really? Wow. Personally i never had issues with the QR codes

1 Like

Ask a boomer to scan a QR code, see how many out of 100 can actually do it. Ask them to tap their phone on a table, 100 out of 100 will be able to do it.

1 Like

I’ll do a survey at my work one day.

I can see that being an issue amongst older people yea

UPDATE

I never heard back from the company I posted earlier.

Someone at champs directed me towards this company POPL

These are cool, I was thinking about getting the keychain sized ones to attach to all of the products (about 35 in my sku currently) and having the customers scanning the tag on an apple tablet mounted on the wall.

until I got some fresh ass kicks the other day

The tag is a “NFC Chip” from my research apparently these come in such small sizes, McDonalds has imbedded them in disposable cups at some locations now to prevent customers from getting too many refills.

NFC Chips can be programmed very easily with an iPhone that has ios 13 or better, and are dirt dirt cheap

The goal is now to have all of my display products for the retail store, and trade shows/farmers markets to be imbedded with a small NFC chip that could even fit under the labels, so customers can pick up an item, scan it on the tablet, (or pop it on the top of their own phone) and have information pop up to help them decide if they want it or not.

Once the customer picks up an item, you pretty much already have them sold on it. Adding this could be a bonus.

Open to ideas, only issue I can see so far is finding chips with good range, for ease of scanning. Seems like with this one you pretty much have to tap it on the device.

I can update as the project progresses, hoping this could be useful for others with retail locations

2 Likes