ReXing THCa in pentane

I have a lot to learn and more reading to do. Where you mention you “recover all the pentane from the vessel itself”. Are you off gassing through lines into another vessel or just opening it up and pouring into another container for recollect? Again, so much to learn and get embarrassed to ask at times, as there’s so much data on this site. Just have had sand that hadn’t been fully cleaned. Some from old oxidized or over heated oven purges during learning curves and finally had a centrifuge to hope clean things up. So with some terps and possible fats left behind, the pentane after rexing would be left with slight terps and D9 I’ve been learning. Thick and gooey depending on tech hadn’t rex’d in vessels yet though… so curious. I feel the clean sand/crystalline with a seeded nice saturation and decide to pull out the pentane when I felt I had the stones and change the solution. Is there possibly some hoses to off gas and attachments that wouldn’t get clogged? lol I’m assuming a free pour in a proper ventilated area though? venting is improving yet I’d enjoy some quick trick. lol I’m just reaching for stars that are far and can’t wait for better ventilation. So just asking and planning ahead till things are safer and using vessels.

1 Like

Ding ding ding…

2 Likes

11 Likes

some recent recrystallizations at the new job

3 Likes

Looks good, did you seed? Use any temps on oven?

1 Like

no seeding & ovens just at pentane bp, gonna re rock these and should be good!

2 Likes

ran out of n pentane, can a thca rinse be done with n heptane? diamonds are still slightly sticky from the pour off (question for everyone)

I belive so, im thinking the structures might be a bit different but nothing major. Also, obviuosly keeping in mind the BP and what not for each different solvent.

3 Likes

Bro. Thanks for sharing that pictures. I’m in colombia here is so difficult all. I have 100 gr of thca an a liter of pentane. Can you help me to cristalizate. I am tired to try but I cant.

Sorry to bother you bro.
My name is Santiago

I just wouldn’t. Taste wise. If you could wait.

Please dab a heptane rock and understand. Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way.

3 Likes

crashing with heptane sure… but washing with cold heptane shouldnt leave any taste behind if you purge it under vac.

1 Like

I can help you with that request if no one has offered

5 Likes

just wondering and forgive me if its a stupid question, but if you dont get the crystal growth your after can you just re-heat the pentane to bp and redissolve the thca? or is there a limit to the amount of crashes you can do?

yeah you can reheat and redissolve.
not unlimited amounts of times. THCA will slowly decarboxylate and THC doesn’t crystallize.
Also, after doing the first THCA harvest in any batch, trying to recrystallize the mother liquor is harder/won’t crystallize as well. Mostly because the mother liquor is more concentrated in impurities, i.e lower THCA concentration, now that you’ve removed a significant portion of the THCA in the first harvest.

2 Likes

Whats around the average loss when doing reX? i know there are variables involved like how isolated the THCA was to begin with/how much terps are still left on the thca/diamonds to begin with etc but what, if at all, is generally expected/accepted or should you experience pretty much no loss if done correctly?

Should be no loss in cannabinoids, ur just going to lose solvent depending on ur procedures

1 Like

just wondering what temps are people doing their reXing at? i got these at room temp after about 4 weeks on my first attempt but they can definitely be better. im not looking for golfballs, just clearer which i believe just takes more time?

on my current batch im holding them steady at 80f. thinking of splitting the next batch and doing one at 70f aka room temp and one at 90f or is one of those a waste of time?

honestly it looks like your problem is overnucleation/sugaring. The ‘crystals’ you are holding are actually conglomerates of many small THCA crystals. This is because when you cap your jars, the THCA concentration in your jars is too high, so lots crystallizes out quickly. Try this:

break those large ‘crystals’ up into individual tiny seed crystals. save maybe 10 of them.
Redissolve the rest in whatever solvent you are using, to the less concentrated end of the metastable crystallization window (aim for 50% THCA ish if you’re not sure). Filter your extract into clean jars. Drop in 2-3 seed crystals. Cap your jars, do not allow ANY solvent to evaporate. Wait a week. Two things will happen, either your crystals will get bigger, or they will dissolve. If they haven’t dissolved in a week, crack open your jars and allow solvent to evaporate super slowly. If they did dissolve, you had too much solvent.

3 Likes

I appreciate the response!

I should’ve mentioned, that was done at 1:1 pentane to thca. Are you suggesting i increase the ratio? I see people doing a lot lower ratios on here but im willing to try stuff. i have all summer to do R&D.

1 Like

1:1 seems pretty darn close to what I’d start at

what are you starting with? Powdered THCA or extract? Give me more deets on how you got to where you are now.

2 Likes