Respiratory PPE cartridge types

Hi everybody, I’m going to be trying some new things soon using hexane and pentane and I don’t have a fume Hood. I’d like to get myself a proper respirator to protect against these solvents specifically and more preferably. I did a search and did not find anybody talking about it here. I hope y’all are staying safe. What cartridgs/specs do we need to stay safe in this business? Pentane looks expensive so I’d like to find how to put together an inexpensive condenser setup I could use for crystallization. Any leads on that would be appreciated too.

1 Like

The scale at which you are playing with pentane and the vessel in which you play affect the style of condenser.

If you’ve got jacketed stainless reactor, or even a an old CLS base lying around you might use one of the condensers Glacier Tanks now sell

If you’re using the boiling flask from your SPD you might find a reflux condenser on eBay that plugs right in.

Maybe start here?

Edit: Guess you haven’t been around long enough to have access to https://future4200.com/t/take-a-pic-of-your-ppe/1424 :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Thanks for that condenser link. Good info there. I don’t have access to that ppe link. Just using a 5 L roto right now. No cls or spd. I haven’t bought anything specifically for crystallization yet, I suppose a jacketed stirred reacter with condenser is best and an open air pyrex dish on a shelf is the low tech way. I was thinking of using my roto to warm the Pentane and dissolve extract, but I don’t want to tie it up through the whole crystallization process. I’m very small scale I’d like a 1 or 2L batch size.