Researchers Say Vitamin E Likely Isn’t the Culprit in Vaping-Related Ailments

Would be great if the cases were decreasing, but the full quote and context from telebriefing yesterday don’t paint as rosy a picture as that article is claiming.

Epidemic curve (what’s an epi curve?):

Here’s the current epi chart of EVAPI outbreak:

Full context of quote:

CDC Telebriefing: Update on Lung Injury Associated with E-cigarette Use, or Vaping
Friday, October 25, at 12:00 p.m. ET

Although the epi curve which we have posted online suggests that the trajectory may be leveling off or even declining, you may wonder if the peak of cases has passed. This pattern may or may not be confirmed with additional time. There may be less intensive investigation of possible cases by the health departments, fewer cases from earlier in the year being reported in to the public health system, or lags in data reporting to the CDC. It is also possible that our consumer warnings about the risks associated with the use of e-cigarette or vaping products that contain THC are having an effect or that enforcement actions by local or federal authorities are impacting supply chains in some geographic areas.

1 Like

Flu season is going to really complicate things. Anyone who vapes and so happens to get the flu will get added to the list as a “probable case”

If the hospitals have it under control they might not be reporting. Sounds like if they get them on steroids fast enough it doesn’t escalate to the need for mechanical breathing assistance. Flu season is going to be a serious media frenzy

7 Likes

Has anyone considered acetate as the cause of the chemical burns in the lungs of these patients? The heating temps in the battery of a cartridge pen are easily high enough to burn any pH balancing, crystallization prohibitor, organic vinegars, terpenes from non-cannabis sources, or etc. that cartridge makers use to cut their product. High temps can convert acetic acid to acetate, along with other potential degradation paths of the compounds I just listed, and acetate is a known lung tissue destroyer. I am curious of what anyone thinks of this…

2 Likes

Curious to references on it being a “known lung destroyer.” Im not saying you’re wrong I just want to gain more info myself. I have not been following this topic as closely lately

I’m surprised no ones said this yet. Were these thickeners really pure vitamin e? Vitamin e is a pretty thin liquid compared to what bottles of honey cut were. What if vitamin e was just the solvent to add other thickening agents in that when heated causes these problems? If it was really based off the metal we’d have seen way more issues as in the beginning of e cigs people were using every metal under the sun.

1 Like

They’re specifically vitamin e acetate, so it is theoretically possible to degrade from that and someone mentioned the possibility once here that I read but it was never really explored too deeply. That said, not all of the carts had vitamin e at all

Three major factors I can see :
1: Terps are caustic, artifical terps/flavorings are more so I believe ( often people where just using more terps in there carts , some as high as 20% along woth other things) and also buying distillate full of residuals aka azulene.
2: Hardware: Autodraw batteries have a air path over taking a lithium battery thats offgassing from the envriomental exposures / battery usage ( not studied I dont belive). Almost all hardware is designed / tested incorrectly.
3: User error: High temp hits are bad , mmmmmk. " Blinkers" is where you hit the pen as hard / hot / long as possible. Imagine how that effects offgassing expeically in heavy metals/batteies.

I think these ALL these contributed to some peoples demise… highly costic apparatus , filled with caustic hot dog water, operated buy a misinformed individual. Death recipe.

3 Likes

So basically people stopped using Vitamin E and Shitty Carts?

Title of this thread is aging so well.

2 Likes
6 Likes
1 Like

Man, I bet that Mr Extractor and that uberthick company and mass terpenes are shitting their pants right now. I did see mass terps closed up shop and got out of town tho?

2 Likes

@anon87263109; And yet…

6 Likes

:man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

WA state just emailed this notice:

“Today, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published new and important information about the vaping-associated illness investigation which needs to be acted upon immediately. A new study has found vitamin E acetate in lung specimens from 29 of 29 patients from across 10 states with vaping-associated lung injury. This finding provides evidence that vitamin E acetate is present at the primary site of injury within the lungs and strengthens the association between vitamin E acetate and lung injury.”

3 Likes
2 Likes

no caption needed

6 Likes

the newest leafly article also say they found vitamin e in carts from oregon dispensaries but none of the washington or cali dispensary carts were cut with it.as far as i’m aware the only people who died from dispensary carts were in oregon so it’s looking like these thickener companies and people using them to cut carts are to blame after all.
i’d imagine the people who said they only used nicotine vapes were lying

1 Like

Leafly is a fn JOKE

Might as well get your news from the tabloid rags standing in line at the grocery store

3 Likes

weak.