Requesting pictures or videos of system failures

Yeah I bet he wont be doing that again, lol.

2 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl: darwin award

1 Like

leaks can occur with any system, that why it pays to be a vigilant opeator with ppm meter and sniffer in hand!

10 Likes

Those hazmat trucks look like a double decker bus.

Officers would never touch this itā€™s not really their job. Maybe swat team/bomb squad.

Anyways just 1.shut off the power and 2.hook up a hose to exhaust outside or somewhere safe. 3. Open blast that shit. Iā€™m sure the epa or other group is gonna be pissed if you bleed out a huge tank into the air though.

Even at 0 Psi or even under vac the system can be full of solvent.

Extraction safety is not complicated, It is simply ignorance that leads to disaster. Iā€™m sorry that the average human is too ignorant to comprehend the dangers and proper protocol.

7 Likes

If your going to show the picture I provide of a failed extractor to policeā€¦Iā€™ll provide one. It may look like my buttholeā€¦but itā€™s really the site of the explosion. Dont mind the hair around itā€¦

19 Likes

:joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Lmao!

1 Like

Lmfao now thatā€™s a good one.

1 Like

which ppm meter is best? and handheld?

I like this company

for sniffing for a leak i use a refrigerant sniffer for ac work.
https://www.amazon.com/Robinair-TIFXL-1A-Refrigerant-Leak-Detector/dp/B004HMKPMK/ref=asc_df_B004HMKPMK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198151843411&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18011594523012441521&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031861&hvtargid=pla-409757650764&psc=1

2 Likes

i have a cheapie,i wiil be getting a refregerant detector, thanks

1 Like

If you read into safety and how to properly run equipment you will have less of a chance of failure. The odds of something going wrong can always happen. Honestly the operator should be aware of every single parameter of operation to the unit in question so they are able to manipulate it to the safest degree.

I think that msds sheets and high pressure equipment was made for a reason. Ya know.

But I feel you on that. User ignorance towards safety usually will cause major problems and significant damage. I suppose what people can do is just be as safe as possible. Learn before you take a turn and make sure you read before you build like just dont be stupid.

-I recently switched to ethanol because I dont like the explosive risk of butane.

3 Likes

I tend to stay in my lane, always try to learn, with a healthy respect for the inherant risks

you can never be too kind ā€¦
or too safe

2 Likes

I use one of these cheap ones. First I use it to check every junction, then I place it on the floor, at the base of the tower. Most solvent vapors are heavier than air, so will pool directly below the unit. I use a cheap water heater drip pan, under the unit. The drip pan will collect and concentrate any escaping vapor, so that when the detector is placed inside, it will react quickly to inform you of a leak. The side drain hole has to be plugged, duct tape works. Depending on the diameter of your tank, a 5 gallon bucket would work (probably even better)

https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-11400-Water-Heater-Pan/dp/B000PSC5MS/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=water+heater+drip+pan&qid=1564719980&s=gateway&sr=8-5

5 Likes

Dude I just heard about a guy that take a propane torch to his columns to heat them to get all the vapor outā€¦ fucking insanity

4 Likes

Darwin award honorable mention

7 Likes

I guess he misinterpreted the propane assist technique. Lol the propane goes in the column guys

3 Likes

Man and here we were making fun of people who were using heat guns in the vicinity of their closed loop let alone an open flame heating their extractor

4 Likes

Crazy thing is this dude is a well known extractor, more for the distillate side. Iā€™m not gonna say who, but heā€™s a crazy fuck in Seattle and heā€™s been doing this ā€œtorch tekā€ for years

1 Like

When I first heard the story I had to have him repeat it multiple times just because I couldnā€™t believe what I was hearing. Heā€™s also the type of dude that saves wiped rags with minute amounts of oil onto it even if it takes him an hour to collect .5g. Heā€™s known for using the phrase ā€œcanā€™t waste milligramsā€.

2 Likes