Reproofing ethanol with 3A mole sieve?

Looking for an easy way to reproof a few 5 gallon buckets of ethanol i use for winterization.

A buddy told me to throw some 3a into a net bag and toss in the buckets, he didn’t have volume suggestions.

I tried searching but didn’t find much.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

You probably should just get a hydrometer and add mol sieves as necessary. Mol sieves arent instantaneous, so youll have to wait maybe 24 hours to see a good result. In my experience, mol sieves off the shelf are only partially activated - meaning, theyve seen enough water and humidity to be partially hydrated. The call is to bake your mol sieves in an oven or furnace at like 200C - preferably under vacuum. A simple test to see if your mol sieves are inactive is to hold one in your hand, put 1 drop of water on it, and see if it heats up. Active (dry) mol sieves will get very hot if you put a drop of water on them. If the mol sieve doesnt heat up, its not active and probably needs to get baked out again.

Also, I use 4A rather than 3A - I know 4A work, I have no idea how effective 3A would be by comparison.

3 Likes

Ethanol methanol and acetone 3A is recomended

3 Likes

Cheap and easy fsho

6 Likes