Removing water from ethanol extract

I have an solution of dissolved diamonds and sauce and anhydrous ethanol and I think the ethanol may have been a bit less anhydrous than I thought. My immediate thought was to dry it with magnesium sulfate as I do with most water miscible solvents, but would it make more sense to just bring it to 100c until it stops steaming?

1 Like

Idk if this is relevant but magnesium drying salts are slightly acidic and one should opt for sodium sulfate in cases where acidity is completely unwanted.

Get a hydrometer too, confirmation is always good before you go and start grabbing the salts.

inorganic chemistry - Is magnesium sulfate basic, neutral or acidic? - Chemistry Stack Exchange.

5 Likes

That makes sense, thanks for the input.

Pour the etoh over 3a beads several good times and u should be anhydrous again

5 Likes

3a sieves (activate them in your vac oven under full vac at 250c or however high your vac oven goes. They come shipped saturated fyi. Use a cold trap or itll fuck your oil.
Breaking that last tiny bit of Azeotrope is a bitch so leave for 24 hours with the 3a sieves. From memory fully activated 3a sieves can hold up to 20% of their weight in water.
Weigh the sieves before and after drying to see how much weight they lost as they are shipped saturated so will require drying.

5 Likes