Removing shelf of AI oven

surprised there isn’t a thread for this anywhere on here yet…
I know we have all wanted to remove shelves from the AI ovens at some point. I’m sure someone has taken one of these shelves out before?

Is it a bitch?

I’d say it’s a bitch. You’re talking about the old AI Ovens that have shelves that look like they’re welded to the back? I want to say they have the temp sensor and heater in the shelf itself. You can probably unscrew the very back panel and look around to see what you can dismantle. It should be possible because I know they sell replacement shelves for the old ovens.

1 Like

Are they heated shelves? If they are, I’m not sure you can remove them easily. Or are you talking about the really large volume ovens with the larger shelves?

2 Likes

they are the heated shelves, yes.

1 Like

oven was bought, brand new, a year ago… so I don’t think it’s a super old model. but the shelves are heated, and look to be welded to a round piece in the back, yeah. don’t think it’ll be easy

If you remove the shelves youll still have the heating coils in the way. I dont think this can be done.

2 Likes

yes it is a massive pain in the ass…you have to remove the back panel, take out a decent amount of insulation (that will get everywhere), unbolt the shelves, and get everything back together. its possible but it will take a couple hours.

2 Likes

We didn’t dig too far but it looks like you’d definitely have to do some cutting to get it out. And then get it sealed back up to where it still holds a vacuum.
we put it back together… shelf is staying put.

Thanks for the input :raised_hands:t2:

7 Likes

I’ve removed the heated shelving from BVV vac ovens before. You’ll most likely need to get a housing machined that seals the cap that you removed, in order to reseal the oven to atmosphere. Haven’t done it to a AI oven so not sure how it differs.

2 Likes

I’ve pulled a shelf out of an Accutemp 75a that was built in 2017. Can’t seem to find the pics but IIRC there’s a round silicone gasket that fits over the round plate that the 2 heating elements and thermowell go thru. In order to remove that shelf you need to unplug it, pull back panel off, remove the insulation covering up the shelf you want to pull, take off the 2 heating element power wires, pull the thermocouple out of the thermowell, unbolt the clamp circle, open the door on the front and slide the shelf out

3 Likes

@gilbertgreen thanks for the info fellas. that sounds like a massive pain in the ass lol. I think the shelf is gonna stay where it’s at.

1 Like

Take back panel off. Dig through the insulation. Remove the thermocouple wire. Then pretty sure its two nuts or allen bolts. Then on the inside of the oven, remove the 2x shelf support brackets and the shelf will come out. You will need to plug the hole in the back where the shelf used to be. Lastly with the thermocouple wire removed the controller for the missing shelf will alarm and have an error code. You can silence the alarm or reprogram it.

3 Likes