Removing CRC media from column

Hey all,

Here using an ETS MEP with a CRC column clipped to it. Having the issue come up with cleaning 1kg of dry-flower oil (diluted with butane) through the column very slowly. Think its at about 3 hours to drip out.

But the biggest issue is removing the media. There is massive pressure release with a dust cloud covering us from head to toe every time we unclamp the column, despite our best efforts to release pressure and even let the column sit for a week to push out any residual butane. We are using T5 T41 and silica. Packing method is banging rubber mallet to side of column.

1 Like

You dab it.

4 Likes

Push it out with nitrogen or propane. Use recovery pump to dry column. If you dewax in the crc it will clog.

Never pull vac from the top of the column which is what you’re doing when you go from positive pressure to atmosphere

3 Likes

sounds like your not diluting your oil enough if its taking that many hours… not to mention the high pressure which im assuming is from nitrogen. You dont have a way to purge your nitro from your system??

Im kinda confused on how if you start off with a completly vac system…how do you end up with so much pressure at the end.

4 Likes

You may have hit it spot on with not diluted enough.

Ive found that prewetting the column with butane achieves 2 goals. First, it prevents the solution from becoming even more saturated as it elutes. Second, you can use the first bit that come into the collection as a cleaning g flush to remove fine dust that makes it past the filtration

2 Likes

Got a bypass valve? Equalize the pressure and bleed it off before opening.

4 Likes

You need a consultation, where are you located? Use less powders with that 3" column try like 200-300 grams of media to start. NEVER OPEN THE MACHINE WITH PRESSURE IN IT! EVER! Vac it down from the collection vessel after the run if there is still pressure in the column. Once its under a vacuum you can start considering taking a clamp off once you know all the solvent has been removed.

5 Likes

I also use an mep.
I have had simular issues with the crc column.
When sending a re-dissolve over and.through crc make sure your oil:solvent ratio is within 6:1-10:1. Otherwise you will have clogging.
Staged filters will help with clogging too. You dont want your micron to do all the heavy lifting so what I did was placed a paper filter above the micron, on a frittered disk gasket and above that a depth filter(tampon tek, I use a series of.stainless ball bearings inside a micron sock, like a tea bag of lose balls that fills the column with 2 inches of balls). And above my ball sack, balled up paper filters which are lightly tamped down and then media dumped onto that. It could be excessive but I am yet to have a single clog since doing it in this manor.

Also use both 20 and 5 micron sintered disks on the bottom of the column.

To prevent the media blowing out the top vent port, place a bunch of paper filters on top of you media to keep it down. You can also use another frittered disk gasket at the top too, which could hold a paper filter or hold the paper on top of media.
Any paper filter (I am currently “custom” cutting them to size) that I cut for the crc needs to be just slightly over lapped with the gasket but not overlapping the ridge as this will lead to wicking of the oil and it will seep out the column through the paper.
Take care of the sintered disks. If they start getting media pummeled into them with high pressure they will continually give you issues and will essentially need to be replaced as no cleaning regime(available to me) is yet to clean out a clogged sintered.

4 Likes

I agree w killa, more solvent…u want an oil laiden solvent not a solvent laiden oil. Hope I said this right… I use BTW 6-12lbs fuel w only 2-4oz of oil dissolved into the 6-12lbs solvent. So u have to push all the solvent tru the media
And pre-filters like crazy before ur welded disk

4 Likes