Reliability, Professionalism, Ego, and Punctuality (why are people so unmotivated)

stack it to the ceiling son .

1 Like

I manage a lab, don’t get paid more than anyone else but do triple the work load than anyone else. I didn’t ask for these responsibilities, they came to me because I wanted to make sure they were done right and the only way I could successfully be sure of that is if I did it. I get to work two hours before everyone else and leave 2 hours later (we work 7-7.) We work six days a week but on Sunday I go in just to clean the ovens and get the CRC ready for the following day. We are training some people now and I find it’s so difficult to understand how people think also?. If I’m not at work I’m on future trying to find a better to solution to a problem that occurred during the day…
I just like things done right and organized.
That’s what I love about what I do, is that there are so many different variables and parameters to discover on one given path (run) lol.

4 Likes

very nice! you want something done. you got to do it yourself . keep it up

1 Like

Yeah I have to admit I find the attitude displayed here pretty strange. If “no work life balance” is the definition of professionalism, then I don’t know may people who fit it, and I wouldn’t want to. To me work is a means to an end. To provide for the necessities of life, and to satisfy my desire for scientific exploration. There are monks who don’t work a job at all and are among the happiest people on Earth. The goal is to be happy; if working 80 hours a week is what makes you happy then go ahead and do it, but I don’t think 90% of people fall in that category and I wouldn’t expect them to.

8 Likes

depends on what you enjoy. I enjoy spending most hours of the day being productive.

Sure – and that’s your choice. But I don’t think working a 40 hour week or more or less has to do with professionalism. As long as you fulfill what obligations you make, you’re being professional.

5 Likes

I personally work almost every weekend, I work full time in two labs.

That being said, I know plenty of people who work well over 50hrs a week and don’t work weekends, part time is 30hrs and under. I’m not sure what your definition of part time is exactly?

Ghosting your calls after 3 days is unprofessional for sure so I definitely agree with you there.

But what do you consider “not working on the weekend”? Like they wont go physically to work or wont answer calls?

i TRY not to bother people on the weekends, unless i need too.

If you run a business, i understand the importance of personal time and family time and all that. but on weekends i think there should be at least 2hrs set aside for some sort of work related activity, whether its emails, or phone calls.

3 Likes

This is the ultimate point that I hope people take away from this whole “I work harder than anyone else” circle-jerk.

The people I’ve worked with that were high performing NEVER once complained about others’ perceived lack of professionalism or punctuality; they just did what they needed to do to get shit done.

I’ve met plenty of people who were VERY vocal about the “hustle” and were all too ready to criticize their peers about how they weren’t working as hard as they “needed to be”. Guess what, those people also had lots of projects “fall through” because of others and never acknowledged that there might have been more they could have done to move it forward. These people also were terrible to work with in teams.

A reality of life is that sometimes to get shit done, you have to get creative on how you get value out of less-productive or less-motivated people.

That’s what we’re all trying to do here, right? Get shit done?

11 Likes

I can agree with that

You’re 100% right that it’s an innate trait. You’re first off not going to reach that level in the first place by looking at stupid “hustle culture” memes, you’ll have to have an internal motivation. If you realistically think you can make it to that level, try to make a conscious decision on what you’re willing to sacrifice, currently and in the future. That includes friends, family, and happiness.

5 Likes

Perfectly stated.

Personal responsibility has always been a characteristic that i look for when building a team.
I find that those that waste time and energy complaining about other’s work ethic tend to have issues taking responsibility in a leadership role.

I also would never eliminate a contact or business relationship.

Business is like mathematics. Nothing is personal.

5 Likes

This right here is the 100% truth. Even the best of employees/partners will have issues but often times getting good work out of people that are less than perfect is what makes the difference.

4 Likes

A very concise and consumable definition of Leadership.

5 Likes

steal from the system.
brake the laws.

never bite the hand that feeds you :slight_smile:

never steal from an employeer
always give your best
always admit when you need help
don’t bring dishonor or bad karma to those you work with.
never sleep with someone you live with or work with (I can not express how much trouble
this gave me till I learnt it)

don’t cheat on your partners sexual or business.
don’t help others cheat on there partners sexual or business.

never take a friends ex to bed it shows no self control.

simple rules I live by

most importantly respect your self.

if you are the best then your work is the best if you disrespect your customer you disrespect
yourself

so simply to give my answer to the op’s question its a matter of respect
both self and mutual.

6 Likes

Most of the people on this group would break those rules for some lines and a hoe hoe.

1 Like

All the mirror sniffers in here with thier perceived professionalism is a joke. Although I understand the hustle I still think action is greater than words or images.

1 Like

so that perceived professionalism can be pursued with a purpose.

4 Likes

Well I’ve managed a bakery at 16 years old, managed a yogurt shop at 18, worked in restaurants as a reliable set of hands in restaurants in my young adult years. Im the type of food runner that will get in the back and wash dishes if I have to. I’ve learned how to safely work fast and clean up as I go.

I have no problem doing dirty or unfavorable jobs. What I do have a problem with is crossing ethics boundaries. There isn’t any amount of money you can get me to do some slimy shit that could harm the health of others. This includes workplace safety hazards.

I find that a simple " you do it then" gets the boss man to feel a little empathetic. I have no problem pissing off the boss if they don’t show workers any respect then the boss can eat a dick.

6 Likes

yes and no I think.

karma is a noticed thing and good scumbags are not noticed.

the snakes you speak of though very real are the bottom of the snake barrel.

some snakes are smart they don’t get caught and continue to use people till the day they die.

these people unfortunately do not get what they deserve instead they get what every one else deserves.

though I agree with you for many snakey cases.

one issue with looking at the world like this though is that sometimes people who look for snakes all the time miss the legless lizards and there real cute :slight_smile:

scalyfooty

I gave up on trying to pick people for what there motives were ages ago.

kung fu and chi energy and all still I missed some that I thought were good and
ended up bad.

I also missed some that I thought were bad and ended up good.

only time will tell and then are we really the same person tomorrow as we are today.

people change even snakes

4 Likes