Refrigerant recovery tank vs stainless steel tri clamp tank

I see a lot of people using refrigerant recovery tanks to hold their solvent , and a lot of people using much more expensive stainless tri clamp tanks . I know tri clamp tanks are cleanable but if you clean all ur gas before putting it in the refrigerant recovery tank does it really matter ? And are tri clamp tanks ok for long term storage ?

Whatever works for you and your rig…

Just don’t wind chime it!

5 Likes

Ive been accused of doing it wrong using carbon tanks.

1 Like

I like stainless tri clamp tanks due to fitting options and sight glasses.

5 Likes

Everyone has to start somewhere, as long as the refrigerant tank is new and clean rock it till you can switch to stainless

3 Likes

Thanks guys :pray:

Make sure to keep your gas nice and dry with mol sieve beads. H20 in carbon steel refrigerant recovery tank = rust.

1 Like

every refrigerant recovery tank i have ever opened up is ~disgusting~ inside.

you can also do bigger/more ports on a stainless tank.

6 Likes

Thank you I didn’t even think of this causing rust but general contamination was my main concern

1 Like

:pray: I appreciate the first hand absolute proof . I figured this was the case but never heard of anyone actually seeing the inside of one

I have an aux carbon tank , no matter how many times you rinse it pulls residue. I’ve heard of using a pre-filter at injection to hold back the oil, residue and rust that usually pushes outwards !

I always pulled a vac on them then let the vac suck in some alcohol or whatever to clean them if your gonna use them. There definitely not the way to go but will get you there