Refining terps

Lmao :sob:

Woah

Which consultant?

3 Likes

No one from here, some fucking dude all he did was come up on two rotos and never came back. I only met him once, my boss spoke highly of him that he was this super smart chemist that graduated from the same university as Einstein lmao fucking stupid.

1 Like

@SidViscous
What’s up bro, so today I kept on working on my project and took some of the info you shared into consideration and I actually had great results. I dialed in my media ratio and the “residence time”. My results where all the same and just the right color I was looking for. So after collecting about 1kml of filtered oil, I i setup a recovery system and recovered about 800ml of ether and I stopped recovery once bubbles stopped forming and I was left with about 200ml of what I hope are terps. I will continue process and do a final purge once I collect a significant amount of terp oil. Thoughts?
Start material:

Filters results.
And these are the Terps after recovery:

Thanks for your input.

9 Likes

@drjackhughes

So, this game isn’t for the faint of heart. Without analytical, mind you there are labs in Europe who are usable (100 euro a sample), you’re wasting your time. Your profiles will be off and inconsistent.

If you don’t care, give me samples of all your crude, I’ll figure out what you have, give you a cost estimate and take care of all the processing, make sure they pass all the CoA tests and you’re good. I do this for top brands and the terps you get back more than pay for my fee.

Unlike some ppl who go by the “it’s fire brah”, axiom I’m collaborating with a badass analytical chemist to do academic quality work because I believe that understanding the entourage effect is crucial to using these oils for medicine.

9 Likes

Thanks, don’t get me wrong though although this here is me experimenting on something that was going to get simply tossed or distilled. I have other methods of manufacturing HTE Terps. But yeah appreciate your input.

1 Like

That looks like a pretty solid improvement!

How do they smell? I guess that’s really the easiest metric to see how you’re doing.

Also, just for clarification, how much input material was used for that 200ml of yield? It looks like 1500ml of solution which yielded 200 ml terpenes and 800ml ether which means you’ve got some 500ml of stuff stuck in the dirt which seems like a lot (also probably some solvent loss to blame for this. Am I keeping up with the numbers?

@drjackhughes I have a ton of respect for you work and absolutely agree with legitimate quantification of these compounds but if I’m honest it seems like @swet254k is quite a few steps removed from the kind of analysis you are discussing.

The total yield I started with was 250g, sobyeah theres was some loss between filtration. As for the smell, they smell good(limonene).

Btw this if from one of my first test runs.

3 Likes

Okay 250 to 200 is much better lol. You could probably work out a bit less loss but your color might suffer. 80% yield on material that dark isn’t entirely unexpected. You could probably try washing with a slightly more polar mobile phase and maybe get some of that 20% back and see if its anything worth keeping. My guess is probably not.

3 Likes

It’s all good. You know I’m a terps hermit

2 Likes

Hit me up I can walk you through refining terps to a 99.99+ purity. I can explain how to do it.

1 Like

If you refine terps to 99.99% you are missing the point. You made terpenes, not essential oil. They don’t have the standards here to do that at any cannabis testing lab in the country.

They taste good those incomplete profiles tho cause you are capturing a few of the goodies that are buried under terpene peaks.

Buy me a GC GC MS and we’ll talk.

7 Likes

Hes just talking about low heat/high vac low/short head distillation.
I figured that was the only way, because terps dont do well with purging solvent. And t5/b80 always adds this mint/limonene/pinene smell no matter how much u wash it and dry it

2 Likes

To be honest as long as we can keep stuff consistent those profiles could be medicine too!

4 Likes

its easy to get terps to a reasonable ppm for solvent? I figured u would lose alot of the profile trying to strip solvent from it

Excuse me. I meant 99.99% of what you want to collect. And avoidance of everything you don’t want to collect.

1 Like

Actually that’s all based on condenser arm control and trap separation. Hydrocarbon solvents like to jump past the main arm. So while terps condense in the first part the trap portion grabs the hydrocarbons.

2 Likes

Dude. We’re collecting actual cannabis essential oil profiles for a huge study on the entourage effect. We only need 0.25ml. Can you reach out to ppl? I’ll make sure they’re acknowledged when it’s published.

We’re trying to get 100 unique profiles.

6 Likes

That would be the benefit of using diethyl ether lol.

Yeah distillation is probably the logical next step for further refinement

2 Likes