Refining BHO with ETOH crc questions

In our system, we hadn’t received our crc equipment yet so we decided to process anyway.
Resulting in quite a few grams of not so perfect product (not terrible but definitely not optimal). The plan is to dissolve the extract in 200proof ethanol and winterize it. I have only seen ratios for refining crude so some insight on ratios with a cleaner product would be appreciated. Winterizing isn’t necessary but since we’re going through this process it might as well be done. Next would be to use a filter paper and a couple layers of filter media in a buchner to bleach the product to my liking. Here is where I begin to have questions, when it comes to boiling off the ethanol because I do not want to expose my extract to high temperatures. I understand pure ethanols boiling point w/o vacuum is 79C and roughly 34C when under vaccum (28hg+). We do not have a rotovap in our lab just buchner and flask. Would it be possible to put a cold trap in between the flask and pump then place the flask in a warm water bath or would the vacuum pulled from the pump be too weak? We can always remove the buchner once the flask is full and plug the top to induce a full vaccum making boiling off at 34Cish possible. Another question is once the extract has been reduced enough and “slabbed out” onto parchment, would it be in our best interest to keep a cold trap in between the oven and pump to extend pump life expectancy? Any information is appreciated, we have only been extracting for a couple weeks now and this forum is to thank for our early success.

2 Likes

Dude, bail on the ethanol winterization unless this product is going to distillate. Dewaxing is what you want to do in a jacketed column w/ dry ice. Stall in that column for an hr or two and move on to collection.

Or run -80c solvent and you can avoid dewax and all this shit all together.

4 Likes

The issue is I have roughly 750gs of BHO that i need to CRC (not the picture above). So you’re telling me to put that in the column and blast it basically? I thought of doing this but it seemed a little ridiculous. Im a little weary because of potential clogs but blasting with warm tane may be enough to get it to dissolve before it gets too cold.

The issue is I have roughly 750gs of BHO that i need to CRC (not the picture above). So you’re telling me to put that in the column and blast it basically? I thought of doing this but it seemed a little ridiculous. Im a little weary because of potential clogs but blasting with warm tane may be enough to get it to dissolve before it gets too cold. Just want to crc it without potentially losing all of my product. Winterization or dewaxing isn’t really my goal here

I’m saying in the future avoid ethanol all together. If you’re looking to crc some old butane down you need a small solvent tank, like this guy from qualitystainlessparts.com

Fill something like this up with your bho you need to crc. Fill it up with butane 5-6lbs of butane and heat that up in a hot water bath for a good number of hrs. Then pull it out and connect fresh solvent to the vapor port and the liquid line to your crc. Push with n2 and you’re good to go.

Or you could do it all with pentane if you don’t want to have to work under pressure, then from there you can slab it out or you can jar it up.

3 Likes

If you’re real concerned about how to do this cleanly without having to buy more parts, I’d do it with pentane.

Melt it down in a large Pyrex bowl outside or under a fume hood (3-4x pentane to crude)

Then you can pour this into your column and then push through to your crc. Just be sure to come behind it with clean pentane so you can clean the powder with fresh solvent.

If you go the pentane route through your closed loop, be sure to use viton gaskets if you aren’t already.

Pentane is not compatible with buna gaskets

5 Likes

So hooking up fresh solvent to the vapor port will push the dissolved solution up the liquid line and into the crc? then just assist with nitrogen? I’ve never worked with pentane before so I’d prefer not to

1 Like