Redneck Freeze Dryer

Okay so I have no idea what I’m talking about here, my extraction experience is limited (CLS and open blasting before regulation, hippie hashmaking, etc) but in theory, for smaller hash extractors, could you accomplish the same effect as a vacuum dryer with a cold trap sort of setup? I saw someone floating the idea of just venting dry ice in a chamber/modified cooler with the food product they wanted to freeze dry inside of it, holes in the cooler for vapor to escape and supposedly the dry ice vapor would be enough to sublimate the moisture in the food. i have zero idea if there is any validity to that. What about drying under vacuum? Any decent improvised methods for small scale freeze drying or is a $2000 freeze dryer the only option?

You could subliminate the moisture out in a roto with a dry ice bath if you wanna get ”work with whatcha got” about it.

1 Like

Before you do that go to autozone and get a free loaner vac pump and rig up some jars with brass fittings if you are BROKE.

1 Like

What are u trying to accomplish? Freeze drying fresh frozen to extract at a later date?

I’m just not getting what ur trying to do u mentioned a small cls

Just prefreeze all material prior to running, always pull back on empty system to remove the oxygen and anything else that might promote a bomb. This also helps a lil w moving solvent unless u get ur solvent to cold then it has no vapors to move around without nitro

Think he’s looking to remove moisture from washed hash

2 Likes

i want to freeze dry water hash for further processing or speed curing. the cls was just background work. I do have vac chambers and pumps, and this is also just me trying to find an outside the box strategy for small scale medical growers who may already have basic vac chamber equipment from hydrocarbon purging.

2 Likes

ive got vac pumps and a few different size SS and pyrex chambers. wouldn’t say BROKE broke but trying to find a solution for people who don’t have $3000 on the spot for a harvest right. Def broke by lab budget standards. Just trying to pull myself back out of the bullshit.

are u gonna press this hash for more pure concentrate. On low Temps I hear freeze dried material make hash then squish at low Temps then jar for cure and its really tasty

1 Like

they give me a hard time for saying weird shit. So you wanna soak the trichs in water and then freeze dry it out? My bubblehash was never remotely wet after drying it. Why not just do kief ?

That’s what the other people in my circle want this for (Fresh frozen material>bubble>freeze dry hash> squish) but id be content to keep it as a fine hash.

1 Like

freeze drying bubble is kinda common at this point for rosin processing. not sure what you’re getting at.

3 Likes

4 Likes

ive seen these fake rosin slabs. Why would you squish bubble hash to make it look like rosin?

its not like one is better than the other= rosin is better but to squish bubble into a slab makes no sense to me.

Um. You squish bubble to produce hash rosin. I’m still not really sure what you’re getting at.

2 Likes

im admittedly clueless other than when they showed the fake slabs I knew something was up. it was also heavily crc. I do this shit for a living so I could tell something was off. this was a few years ago before i had even heard of crc. He was calling it rosin but it was white. I could tell it was oil pressed thin and not rosin. I still didnt know why it was white at the time.

What if i told you there was white bubble hash

1 Like

of course. I had alot of white fmcd bubble. I tend to not like bubble at all, It mutes some terps and makes it bland to me. I ran bubblebags for years. I went on a few vacations and smuggled fmcd- i was always desperate for flower on my vacations.

This is the thread you seek

1 Like

oh ok i get you. Guess im not as aquainted with people faking rosin, ive seen white roz a ton of times and thats kinda what im aiming for with this process.